Old 27-12-2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Maikai 'Mayumi' -- how do you make it bloom?

Hi there Caren, I too have had this plant for years & has overgrown itself so
much so, that I was thinking of breaking it up. It seems that it gets fewer
spikes/flowers each year?
I have grown it in a greenhouse & outside in bright & lots of sunlight.
I am told it is a primary hybrid of:- B. nodosa x C. bowringiana
I have not really study the parents culture but both are easy growers.
Kathy might be onto something so lets see if anyone else chimes in.
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

K Barrett wrote:
It usually boils down to light, these are high light plants, but also
make sure it gets at least a 10 degree day/night temperature
variation, doesn't go below about 55F at night and maybe cut back on
feeding in the winter time (or when it isn't in active growth). Usually you don't
have to rest cattleyas, but hey. Its worth a try.
For more light have you tried summering it outside?

K Barrett

"Caren" wrote in message
ps.com...
So a friend brings has an orchid she got from her brother or somebody
or other in Florida. It's a huge, specimen-sized plant--theoretically
Brassocattleya Maikai 'Mayumi'--in one of the best-looking pots I've
ever seen. Anyway, she says he can't get it to bloom so she thought
she'd give it a try and it's not blooming for her either. I took
home a hunk and potted it up, thinking my nice bright bay window
would be just the thing. A couple of years later, I've got
enthusiastic foliage growth (for an orchid), but no bloom either.
Maikai 'Mayumi' is supposed to be an easy bloomer, so I'm wondering
if we have something different altogether or if we're maybe missing
some vital secret. Any ideas?

--
Caren