Old 27-12-2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga Diana Kulaga is offline

Default Cleary's 3336, again.......

Pat,

Frank ordered a Solo today. We bought a decent sprayer at HD two days ago,
but parts were missing. The two we already have are crappy; the nozzles got
messed up and we need to simply toss them out.

I can't thank you enough for all your input.

Diana

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Diana,

If you have already bought a sprayer, just skip this post.

Ok you still reading? Stainless sprayers are great for someone who wants
to use a single sprayer for everything. They can be cleaned. Herbicides,
especially 2,4-D, are very hard to completely get out of plastic. No
matter how well you clean a plastic tank that has been used with some
herbicides, the next time you use the sprayer on sensitive plants you may
see damage. Around here we never use a sprayer on the orchids that has
been used for herbicides. In fact, Solo sprayers are used with the
orchids and I never use a Solo sprayer with herbicides. So far this has
worked and we have never had a mix up.

For the past year I have been using a 4.5 gallon Gilmore backpack that I
bought from Lowes for herbicides. It was not cheap and seems flimsy, but
has lasted the full season. Herbicides go down as small droplets to
minimize drift so I can not say how well it works as a sprayer (but I am
sure it works fine). As it came out of the box, I attached the herb
nozzle and threw away the spray one.

If you already have two pump up sprayers and they were cleaned the last
time they were used, I am sure they will work fine. With these sprayers,
you get the finest spray when the tank is under the most pressure, so just
remember to keep it pumped up. I find I like backpack sprayers best.
Easier to keep the tank pumped up, easier to get around as I am spraying,
and the spraying process just flows better. Last spring Costco had '4
gallon' Solo backpacks for cheap money, I think $70. (Although the box
said 4 gallon they were really 3 gallon sprayers.) If you have the
strength to repot orchids, you should be able to handle the backpack, it
does not need to be filled to capacity. If you can not handle it, maybe
you can get Frank to do the spraying. If Frank does the spraying, you
will owe him. If you are not inclined to pay this debt, I have seen some
very good battery powered sprayers at shows being used to mist exhibits.

Pat