Old 28-12-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default An example of a poster's "advertisement"

wrote:

"poster" poster wrote:
I have a 99-year old book "Tthe Chess Player's Compendium" by William
Cook concentrating on openings given to me some years ago by my
great-aunt.

You can see how much has changed in the interval - various openings
such as the Sicilian are dismissed in a few pages under a heading
"Semi-Irregular Openings".

It shows the first 20 moves of various lines of each opening with a
verdict of plus for white plus for black or best lines for both to each
line.

I'm not really seeking a lot of money for it - my fee would rather be
reading what a modern opening guru thought of what was said back then
and how the picture has shifted.

Please reply if you're interested in seeing it

posters name

I would not consider this "advertising" in the true sense of the word, and
consider it an acceptable post. I 'd be interested in the opinions of
others.

I'm not sure I'd approve it on a ponding newsgroup :-) If it was a 99 year
old book on koi-keeping, I'd approve it in a second.
--
derek