Old 28-12-2006, 03:30 AM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default An example of a poster's "advertisement"

On 28 Dec 2006 02:40:38 GMT, wrote:

"poster" poster wrote:
I have a 99-year old book "Tthe Chess Player's Compendium" by William
Cook concentrating on openings given to me some years ago by my
great-aunt.

You can see how much has changed in the interval - various openings
such as the Sicilian are dismissed in a few pages under a heading
"Semi-Irregular Openings".

It shows the first 20 moves of various lines of each opening with a
verdict of plus for white plus for black or best lines for both to each
line.

I'm not really seeking a lot of money for it - my fee would rather be
reading what a modern opening guru thought of what was said back then
and how the picture has shifted.

Please reply if you're interested in seeing it

posters name

I would not consider this "advertising" in the true sense of the word, and
consider it an acceptable post. I 'd be interested in the opinions of
others.

I'd probably return it. If it was someone's first post I'd definitely
return it, and if it was someone who regularly posted to rec.ponds I'd
still return it, and wonder what possessed them to try to post about chess
in a pond group. Now if it was a 99 year old book about ponds, I'd
probably agree with you and pass it.

--
Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA

Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.