Old 29-12-2006, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Duck - Here comes Round 2

I'm into my 30th year living in the Adirondacks. This was the first
green Christmas I have seen here. One other Christmas there was barely
enough snow to cover the grass. This year you had to look to find little
patches of snow.
Normally by Christmas, there are snowmobiles zipping up and down the
lake. This year there were groups of Canada Geese floating by with not a
trace of ice. We have a little snow now and a little ice on part of the
lake.
One thing I have noticed over the years.... if the west is having a warm
spell, we are probably colder than normal. If the west is really cold,
it's nice and warm in the east. Some time next month, we'll probably be
buried and you will be all melted.

Steve ... who's only contact with a snow shovel this season was to carry
it from the garage and place it near the front door, just in case.

Susan Erickson wrote:
Denver is set for another major winter storm. We expect another foot
plus of snow. Two major storms within 7 days is almost unprecedented.
We are still trying to shovel out from the last one. Pot holes now
mean bare pavement where the ice has worn off the street; not a hole
in the pavement.

In the 30 plus years we have lived here the Neighborhood once paid to
have a contractor plow and the city did it once last week. We have
some idiot neighbors that are throwing the shoveled snow into the
street. They don't get that this is not a normal 2 day melt out. Our
normal snows are like a September 2" shower in the Midwest -- gone in
2 days except for the shadows on the north side of buildings. This is
deja-vu of Chicago winters I thought we had left behind.

Good luck in 2 days in St Louis... Although they say this one is going
to stall here - part of the reason we will get so much. Then the
second day we get more snow with 20 - 50 mile an hour winds to help
distribute it appropriately. Grin The tallest drifts across the
widest part of the drive and against front doors.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids