Old 31-12-2006, 04:21 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Storing onions

"Norman Kaye" wrote
I have a problem storing my onions.
They are grown from sets and I usually get a good crop.
However, storing them is always a problem to me. I get at least 30% losses
every year because they tend to go rotten. I currently hang them in the
garage---is this the wrong way? What is the correct way? Any help would be
much appreciated.

Light, airy, cool and dry are the requirements. So if any of those are wrong
you have your answer. I too have a problem with them sprouting too soon but
I know it's because our garage is attached to the house, has a twin walled
clear plastic roof, and therefore stays too warm, the other three
requirements are OK.
Another thought is, have you got White Rot (whitish fungus around the basal
plate) on your plot or perhaps Leek Moth (act like woodworm around the neck
causing rot)?

--
Regards
Bob H