Old 31-12-2006, 04:21 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

Default Storing onions

"Norman Kaye" wrote
I have a problem storing my onions.
They are grown from sets and I usually get a good crop.
However, storing them is always a problem to me. I get at least 30% losses
every year because they tend to go rotten. I currently hang them in the
garage---is this the wrong way? What is the correct way? Any help would be
much appreciated.

Light, airy, cool and dry are the requirements. So if any of those are wrong
you have your answer. I too have a problem with them sprouting too soon but
I know it's because our garage is attached to the house, has a twin walled
clear plastic roof, and therefore stays too warm, the other three
requirements are OK.
Another thought is, have you got White Rot (whitish fungus around the basal
plate) on your plot or perhaps Leek Moth (act like woodworm around the neck
causing rot)?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 01-01-2007, 08:58 AM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Onions are about the only veg we are any good at growing! but we have found
over the years that if they are to store well you need to get them properly
ripe and dry first. This year we took them in too early because it was so
dry and rain was forecast, normally we leave them longer outside. My wife
tells me they have gone soft already, so there are no shortcuts! I usually
string ours and they hang in the utility which doubles as a veg store and
larder.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Registered User

You need to wait until the tops bend over of their own will. Don't bend them over early. Wait until the leaves are quite brown and dry. Then unearth them on a dry day and lay them out to dry - I always to this in my cold greenhouse because of our weather.

After this either tie them in plaits or put them into net bags and store them in a light, cool but dry place. This isn't always easy. Sounds as though your garage may be dark and this will most likely be the problem. I always keep a trug full in the kitchen and they are fine.