Old 24-03-2003, 03:44 PM
LSmythedesigns

Default Nasturtiums

I have nasturtiums growing in full sun in my zone 10 south Florida garden.
We've been having a major heat wave this past month but it's only 76 so far
today - a great change from last weeks high 80's (one day it even got up to 90
- UGH!!!)

I won't be able to grow nasturtiums in full sun during the summer down here so
I'll probably try a patch in partial shade. Also, our summers are extremely wet
and humid so I have to watch out for root rot.

I use both the leaves and flowers in salads and even manage to get my husband
to eat them! You can also use the green (unripe) seeds - soak them in salt
water for 24 hours then store them in a flavored vinegar in the fridge. The
green seeds are supposed to be like a caper substitute.

I haven't tried this yet. My nasturtiums have tons of flowers right now, maybe
I'll let a few develop seeds instead of dead heading them all. Has anyone out
there tried eating/using the green seeds in this method?

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
www.butterflygypsy.com