Old 01-01-2007, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith \(Dorset\) Keith \(Dorset\) is offline

Default Storing onions

I have never had any problems.

I pick them in dry weather and lay them out in the greenhouse on seed trays
for a few weeks.

Then I just grab a 'bunch' and tie some rafia round the shortish dry stems
at the top, and hang them up, most in the greenhouse, and some in the
kitchen. I often arrange to hang one much below the other and arrange them
so that they are 'hung neatly'.

I think dryness is the key. Some sprout a bit, but not enough to be a
problem.

Keith

"Norman Kaye" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a problem storing my onions.
They are grown from sets and I usually get a good crop.
However, storing them is always a problem to me. I get at least 30% losses
every year because they tend to go rotten. I currently hang them in the
garage---is this the wrong way? Any help would be much appreciated.
Norman