Old 31-12-2006, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storing onions

Hello,
I have a problem storing my onions.
They are grown from sets and I usually get a good crop.
However, storing them is always a problem to me. I get at least 30% losses
every year because they tend to go rotten. I currently hang them in the
garage---is this the wrong way? Any help would be much appreciated.
Norman

Old 31-12-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 15:41:10 GMT, Norman Kaye wrote:

Hello,
I have a problem storing my onions.
They are grown from sets and I usually get a good crop.
However, storing them is always a problem to me. I get at least 30% losses
every year because they tend to go rotten. I currently hang them in the
garage---is this the wrong way? Any help would be much appreciated.
Norman

Stringing is good, but too fussy to explain here. I expect there's a
website.
I do mine in tights (the onions, not me you understand)
The weight of the onion keeps them from touching each other and you can cut
them out through the bottom as you need them. Hang over a 6" nail or hook
near the garage roof and not against a wall that gets the mid-day sun.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 31-12-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim S" wrote in message

Stringing is good, but too fussy to explain here. I expect there's a
website.
I do mine in tights (the onions, not me you understand)
The weight of the onion keeps them from touching each other and you can
cut
them out through the bottom as you need them. Hang over a 6" nail or hook
near the garage roof and not against a wall that gets the mid-day sun.
--
Jim

Jim I think you omitted to say that you tie a knot in the tights above each
onion to prevent them touching each other and also to enable you to cut one
off at a time without all of them falling to the floor.

Kind regards and best wishes for the New Year

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 31-12-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:16:04 -0000, 'Mike' wrote:

"Jim S" wrote in message

Stringing is good, but too fussy to explain here. I expect there's a
website.
I do mine in tights (the onions, not me you understand)
The weight of the onion keeps them from touching each other and you can
cut
them out through the bottom as you need them. Hang over a 6" nail or hook
near the garage roof and not against a wall that gets the mid-day sun.
--
Jim

Jim I think you omitted to say that you tie a knot in the tights above each
onion to prevent them touching each other and also to enable you to cut one
off at a time without all of them falling to the floor.

Kind regards and best wishes for the New Year

Mike

Never did any knotting, as the natural tendency of the nylon to 'neck',
above and below each onion due to the weight, was enough. Except when you
take the bottom one out, but a clothes-peg will do for that.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 31-12-2006, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim S" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:16:04 -0000, 'Mike' wrote:

Never did any knotting, as the natural tendency of the nylon to 'neck',
above and below each onion due to the weight, was enough. Except when you
take the bottom one out, but a clothes-peg will do for that.
--
Jim S

Thanks Jim. When we stored Onions it was either on open shelves in a garage
or we plaited them up. It's just that I saw someone recommend the stocking
routine somewhere and they said tie a knot over each Onion :-))

Best wishes for the New Year

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 31-12-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Mike

I can see the virtue because if you haven't done it before and you take the
weight off when removing the lowest onion, they tend to slip down.
However if you have a lot, the knotting process will be tedious.
Try here (it suggests twist ties between)
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf174436.tip.html
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 31-12-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim S" wrote in message
Hi Mike

I can see the virtue because if you haven't done it before and you take
the
weight off when removing the lowest onion, they tend to slip down.
However if you have a lot, the knotting process will be tedious.
Try here (it suggests twist ties between)
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf174436.tip.html
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
http://www.jimscott.co.uk

:-))

"Do not cut pantyhose. Use twist ties to separate onions in the leg. The
pantyhose is then washable and reuseable. Mike (08/10/2005)"

Is not me ..... honest!!!

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 01-01-2007, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have never had any problems.

I pick them in dry weather and lay them out in the greenhouse on seed trays
for a few weeks.

Then I just grab a 'bunch' and tie some rafia round the shortish dry stems
at the top, and hang them up, most in the greenhouse, and some in the
kitchen. I often arrange to hang one much below the other and arrange them
so that they are 'hung neatly'.

I think dryness is the key. Some sprout a bit, but not enough to be a
problem.

Keith