Old 01-01-2007, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Antony Legat Antony Legat is offline

Default Early Sprouting Garlic

Robert wrote:
Antony Legat antony@nospamthanks wrote:
: At the end of November I created a small raised bed/patch and planted
: out some garlic I bought from a farm shop. This was mulched with mown
: leaves and grass as I am trying to grow along permaculture/organic
: lines. Today I noticed about 5-6 garlic shoots poking through the
: mulch and I'm wondering what happens if it gets frosty? Common-sense
: tells me to add a little more mulch to just cover the shoots till
: Spring. Is this sensible/necessary? Is this usual for the time of
: year or is climate-change really starting to kick in now? Thoughts
: from more experienced gardeners welcomed.
:
: Wishing all a Happy New Year!
:
: Antony

No, don't cover them, they are hardy plants and are usually up well before
this time of year. Garlic will only give of their best of they get a decent
cold spell in their growing season

Thanks for the advice Robert - I will leave garlic uncovered as suggested.

Antony