Old 31-12-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Early Sprouting Garlic

At the end of November I created a small raised bed/patch and planted
out some garlic I bought from a farm shop. This was mulched with mown
leaves and grass as I am trying to grow along permaculture/organic
lines. Today I noticed about 5-6 garlic shoots poking through the mulch
and I'm wondering what happens if it gets frosty? Common-sense tells me
to add a little more mulch to just cover the shoots till Spring. Is this
sensible/necessary? Is this usual for the time of year or is
climate-change really starting to kick in now? Thoughts from more
experienced gardeners welcomed.

Wishing all a Happy New Year!

Antony
Old 31-12-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Antony Legat antony@nospamthanks wrote:
: At the end of November I created a small raised bed/patch and planted
: out some garlic I bought from a farm shop. This was mulched with mown
: leaves and grass as I am trying to grow along permaculture/organic
: lines. Today I noticed about 5-6 garlic shoots poking through the
: mulch and I'm wondering what happens if it gets frosty? Common-sense
: tells me to add a little more mulch to just cover the shoots till
: Spring. Is this sensible/necessary? Is this usual for the time of
: year or is climate-change really starting to kick in now? Thoughts
: from more experienced gardeners welcomed.
:
: Wishing all a Happy New Year!
:
: Antony

No, don't cover them, they are hardy plants and are usually up well before
this time of year. Garlic will only give of their best of they get a decent
cold spell in their growing season

Old 01-01-2007, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice Robert - I will leave garlic uncovered as suggested.

Antony
Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Registered User

Yes mine are up too high to mulch. If they don't get a couple of months of cold weather they won't produce very good bulbs. That's the whole point of planting them this early. It's great to see them up now don't you think?