Old 01-01-2007, 08:51 PM posted to aus.gardens
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default Help! Grubs withcacoons eating our pines.

Find one that is a systamic. It goes up through the roots and kills bugs
that eat them. Read the directions. It may be too late for the current
damage, but will be in the trees system next year for the pests, and will
work well for the trees that havent been infected yet.

Dwayne

"Jason James" wrote in message

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I don't know what you have, but when I get a similar problem with other
trees, I get a good liquid poison and a pump up sprayer, and spray them.

We
have what is called a web worm. When sprayed, they immediately fall out

of
the web on the ground and die in a couple of minutes. You can find one

that
will also kill the pest after being eaten with the leaves. Good luck.

Dwayne(in Kansas)

Thanks for those comments, Dwayne. These appear to emerge from the foliage
(we've got Cypress pines), form a cocoon, some drop to the ground by a
thin
thread of a web-like substance. They then move across the ground to other
pine trees, they are quite quick travellers. They withdraw into their
cocoon
on the slightest vibration.

Others stay on the tree and destroy the foliage and then the branch dies.

From the Canadian forestry site, they look closest to a Sawfly of some
sort.

Thanks for the tip. All I can do is checkout the products available.
Manually killing them is like trying to bail the ocean out with a bucket.

Jason