Old 31-12-2006, 11:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Help! Grubs withcacoons eating our pines.

Appreciate how to kill these parasites. We've had 3 book-leaf pine-trees for
20 yrs in the front yard and out here in Dubbo they do reasonabley well for
non-gardeners like myself. But in the last 10 days they have been attacked
by grubs which clothe themselves in a cacoon made from the pine-tree's
leaves.

There are 100s of these things suspended by a gossamer of thread, others
actively eating the foliage.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

Jason

Old 01-01-2007, 02:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

I don't know what you have, but when I get a similar problem with other
trees, I get a good liquid poison and a pump up sprayer, and spray them. We
have what is called a web worm. When sprayed, they immediately fall out of
the web on the ground and die in a couple of minutes. You can find one that
will also kill the pest after being eaten with the leaves. Good luck.

Dwayne(in Kansas)

Old 01-01-2007, 03:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I don't know what you have, but when I get a similar problem with other
trees, I get a good liquid poison and a pump up sprayer, and spray them.

We
have what is called a web worm. When sprayed, they immediately fall out

of
the web on the ground and die in a couple of minutes. You can find one

that
will also kill the pest after being eaten with the leaves. Good luck.

Dwayne(in Kansas)

Thanks for those comments, Dwayne. These appear to emerge from the foliage
(we've got Cypress pines), form a cocoon, some drop to the ground by a thin
thread of a web-like substance. They then move across the ground to other
pine trees, they are quite quick travellers. They withdraw into their cocoon
on the slightest vibration.

Others stay on the tree and destroy the foliage and then the branch dies.

From the Canadian forestry site, they look closest to a Sawfly of some sort.

Thanks for the tip. All I can do is checkout the products available.
Manually killing them is like trying to bail the ocean out with a bucket.

Jason

Old 01-01-2007, 03:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day Jason

Think I'd be using something like Maldison which is available at Coles
or Woolies supermarket under the label 'Crawly Cruncher'. Around $6.00
for a litre refill bottle, slightly more if you want the spray bottle.
Any old spray bottle can be used, BUT do follow safety precautions on
the label and only wash in COLD water on completion (hot water opens the
pores).

Also spray the ground to the dripline so new infestations will be
stopped in their tracks.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Jason James wrote:
"Dwayne" wrote in message

[...]

From the Canadian forestry site, they look closest to a Sawfly of some sort.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

Great, thanx Bronwyn.

It's local knowledge like that is priceless, as all the sites are
non-commital about pesticides. We've 3 CPs and 4 pencil pines, plus a couple
of other pines of a turquiose colour foliage. These pupae are wreaking havoc
on the CPs, I'll probably lose 2 of them. They are also on the other pines,
but in lessor numbers.

I dont think I'd get pines again, as they have suffered other less drastic
borer attacks regularly, one pencil pine was cut-off like a saw last year.
Come outside one morning and its half the height :-)
The butt-end had a nice circular channel eatern out of it.

Thanx again, Jason

Jason James wrote:
"Dwayne" wrote in message

[...]

From the Canadian forestry site, they look closest to a Sawfly of some

sort.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 10:17:13 +1100, "Jason James" wrote:

Appreciate how to kill these parasites. We've had 3 book-leaf pine-trees for
20 yrs in the front yard and out here in Dubbo they do reasonabley well for
non-gardeners like myself. But in the last 10 days they have been attacked
by grubs which clothe themselves in a cacoon made from the pine-tree's
leaves.

There are 100s of these things suspended by a gossamer of thread, others
actively eating the foliage.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

Spray them with Dipel.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 10:17:13 +1100, "Jason James" wrote:

Appreciate how to kill these parasites. We've had 3 book-leaf pine-trees

for
20 yrs in the front yard and out here in Dubbo they do reasonabley well

for
non-gardeners like myself. But in the last 10 days they have been

attacked
by grubs which clothe themselves in a cacoon made from the pine-tree's
leaves.

There are 100s of these things suspended by a gossamer of thread, others
actively eating the foliage.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

Spray them with Dipel.

Thanx for that additional info. I note it is a bio product. A good
alternative provided 2 days is not a critical time delay,..with this attack,
there are so many, I'll use the Dipel as a follow-up a cou[;e of days after
an initial spray of Crawly cruncher.

Jason

Old 01-01-2007, 08:51 PM posted to aus.gardens

Find one that is a systamic. It goes up through the roots and kills bugs
that eat them. Read the directions. It may be too late for the current
damage, but will be in the trees system next year for the pests, and will
work well for the trees that havent been infected yet.

Dwayne

"Dwayne" wrote in message
[...]

From the Canadian forestry site, they look closest to a Sawfly of some
sort.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Find one that is a systamic. It goes up through the roots and kills bugs
that eat them. Read the directions. It may be too late for the current
damage, but will be in the trees system next year for the pests, and will
work well for the trees that havent been infected yet.

Dwayne

Yes I understand. The "Dipel" folks have mentioned, is actually a "live"
fungas spray which zaps the caterpillars, naturally. Its put out by Yates,
if you have that firm marketing in the States.

Regards, Jason