Old 02-01-2007, 02:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jason James Jason James is offline

Default Axial Borer

"The Old Bloke" wrote in message
My eureka lemon tree recently quickly died. When I cut it down I found

that
an axial borer had drilled out the centre of the wood. The borer had got
right down into the stump.
I quickly disposed of the cuttings but now it is in three Murraya bushes.

I have not seen the borer. The wood shows no entry point that I can find.
There is no saw dust.

Regards
Doug

From what I've read on the Canadian Forestry site, some parasites gain entry
thru cracks in the tree-bark, damaged wood or sap-holes. At least with
pines, leaking sap is a powerful attractant.

Out here in the country where the drought is biting deep, any sick or
thirsty trees are more susceptible, apparently. The sheer number of
different parasites makes it difficult to gain the satisfaction of knowing
which one it is.

Jason