Old 02-01-2007, 12:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Axial Borer

My eureka lemon tree recently quickly died. When I cut it down I found that
an axial borer had drilled out the centre of the wood. The borer had got
right down into the stump.
I quickly disposed of the cuttings but now it is in three Murraya bushes.

I have not seen the borer. The wood shows no entry point that I can find.
There is no saw dust.

Regards
Doug

Old 02-01-2007, 02:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

"The Old Bloke" wrote in message
My eureka lemon tree recently quickly died. When I cut it down I found

that
an axial borer had drilled out the centre of the wood. The borer had got
right down into the stump.
I quickly disposed of the cuttings but now it is in three Murraya bushes.

I have not seen the borer. The wood shows no entry point that I can find.
There is no saw dust.

Regards
Doug

From what I've read on the Canadian Forestry site, some parasites gain entry
thru cracks in the tree-bark, damaged wood or sap-holes. At least with
pines, leaking sap is a powerful attractant.

Out here in the country where the drought is biting deep, any sick or
thirsty trees are more susceptible, apparently. The sheer number of
different parasites makes it difficult to gain the satisfaction of knowing
which one it is.

Jason

Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jason James" wrote in message

"The Old Bloke" wrote in message
My eureka lemon tree recently quickly died. When I cut it down I found

that
an axial borer had drilled out the centre of the wood. The borer had got
right down into the stump.
I quickly disposed of the cuttings but now it is in three Murraya bushes.

I have not seen the borer. The wood shows no entry point that I can find.
There is no saw dust.

Regards
Doug

From what I've read on the Canadian Forestry site, some parasites gain
entry
thru cracks in the tree-bark, damaged wood or sap-holes. At least with
pines, leaking sap is a powerful attractant.

Out here in the country where the drought is biting deep, any sick or
thirsty trees are more susceptible, apparently. The sheer number of
different parasites makes it difficult to gain the satisfaction of knowing
which one it is.

Jason

Thanks Jason,

I agree that the water stress is probably making plants more susceptible.

I have often dealt with borers that go in, leave a trail of dust. But with
whatever these are, there is no visible sign till a major part of the plant
dies. When I then start lopping off the dead branch, the axial borehole has
usually got right down into the lower trunk. A single hole can be 4-6 ft
long.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

"The Old Bloke" wrote in message
My eureka lemon tree recently quickly died. When I cut it down I found
that an axial borer had drilled out the centre of the wood. The borer had
got right down into the stump.
I quickly disposed of the cuttings but now it is in three Murraya bushes.

I have not seen the borer. The wood shows no entry point that I can find.
There is no saw dust.

Regards
Doug

Could be the augur beetle or perhaps termites. I would think you'd see the
latter though. Looks like both attack trees that are not healthy and
possibly on the way out anyway.

It is interesting that it is a citrus and murraya's that are affected. Both
belong to the same family. You might need to get a soil test.

Cheers

Richard

Old 03-01-2007, 09:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

"The Old Bloke" wrote in message
My eureka lemon tree recently quickly died. When I cut it down I

found that
an axial borer had drilled out the centre of the wood. The borer had

got
right down into the stump.
I quickly disposed of the cuttings but now it is in three Murraya

bushes.

I have not seen the borer. The wood shows no entry point that I can

find.
There is no saw dust.

I've had good success iwth treating cherry tree borer with metho or
even detergent. I got a big cow syringe from the vet, filled it and
put the needle it in the holes (dunno what sort of borer it was
though).

Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

"The Old Bloke" wrote in message

I have often dealt with borers that go in, leave a trail of dust.

But with
whatever these are, there is no visible sign till a major part of

the plant
dies. When I then start lopping off the dead branch, the axial

borehole has
usually got right down into the lower trunk. A single hole can be

4-6 ft
long.

I also recently had a lemon tree looking as sick as it was possible to
be without actually being dead. I finally got sick of trying to
cosset the rotten thing and pulled it out. It was young and small so
I could check it out well when I ripped it up and I found a hole right
at ground level which wasn't visible when in the ground. There was no
other borer hole anywhere to be seen. Could this have been an axial
borer?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:42 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps. But in each of my cases, as I lop further down, I get to a point
where there is no longer a centre hole. So, mine start above ground level.

I have spoken to a couple of nurserymen and they say that they started
seeing this in the last year as the drought worsened. 50mm rain today.
Whoopee!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

Saw it on the news! And I hope all those 'No point buying a tank because
there's no rain' buggers are pulling their hair out today....lets hope that
more comes your way.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

Thanks for that info - must do some research on borers. I generally
live and let live with garden insects.

I have spoken to a couple of nurserymen and they say that they

started
seeing this in the last year as the drought worsened. 50mm rain

today.
Whoopee!

You lucky bugger! How 'bout sharing it around?

iris borer infestation Nancy Coffey Gardening 6 15-07-2003 12:42 AM
Squash Vine Borer BB North Carolina 5 11-07-2003 06:14 PM
foiling the squash vine borer-now: green bean question Julia Altshuler Gardening 3 02-06-2003 04:08 AM
foiling the squash vine borer Julia Altshuler Gardening 17 31-05-2003 11:20 AM
[IBC] spots on boxwood (was leaf borer on kingsville boxwood) Sam Williams Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 01:08 AM