Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay DavePoole  Torquay is offline

Default First daffodils

Robert wrote:
The first daffodils were open today so have picked a small bunch for
indoors. Roses flowering in the front garden, isn't that odd

Yes, some are already open here as are one or two clumps of snowdrops
and a few crocus. I was looking at a very large, old Magnolia stellata
last week and its flower buds were swelling fast - far too quickly for
this early in the year. Yesterday, as I was driving home along the
sea-front I noticed several Echiums starting their upwards surge
towards flowering. All good stuff until I remember that in recent
years, February has proved to be the cruellest month ... even here.