Old 30-12-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default First daffodils

The first daffodils were open today so have picked a small bunch for
indoors. Roses flowering in the front garden, isn't that odd

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert wrote:
The first daffodils were open today so have picked a small bunch for
indoors. Roses flowering in the front garden, isn't that odd

Yes, some are already open here as are one or two clumps of snowdrops
and a few crocus. I was looking at a very large, old Magnolia stellata
last week and its flower buds were swelling fast - far too quickly for
this early in the year. Yesterday, as I was driving home along the
sea-front I noticed several Echiums starting their upwards surge
towards flowering. All good stuff until I remember that in recent
years, February has proved to be the cruellest month ... even here.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

DavePoole Torquay wrote:

Yes, some are already open here as are one or two clumps of snowdrops
and a few crocus. I was looking at a very large, old Magnolia stellata
last week and its flower buds were swelling fast - far too quickly for
this early in the year. Yesterday, as I was driving home along the
sea-front I noticed several Echiums starting their upwards surge
towards flowering. All good stuff until I remember that in recent
years, February has proved to be the cruellest month ... even here.

Here, in the Auvergne in France, up in the Foret National Livrados, my
daffodils are only just through the soil. The bluebells are also just
through. No crocus yet neither can I see any snowdrops at all which is
very strange. However, the converse is that several shrubs are in bud.
I cannot understand why the bulbs and the shrubs are at odds with the
weather, surely if the bulbs are behind then it should follow that the
shrubs should not be early?????

Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

judith lea writes

DavePoole Torquay wrote:

[...]

No - different plants are triggered by different things. One might be
triggered by cold weather (so that if it starts growth after a period of
cold, it's ready to flower in the spring), another by increasing warmth,
another may be triggered by heavier rainfall, another by light levels.

This means that a warm wet December might accelerate growth in some
plants, while delaying growth in those which are still waiting for the
winter cold.
--
Kay
Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

judith lea writes

However, the converse is that several shrubs are in bud.
I cannot understand why the bulbs and the shrubs are at odds with the
weather, surely if the bulbs are behind then it should follow that the
shrubs should not be early?????

No - different plants are triggered by different things. One might be
triggered by cold weather (so that if it starts growth after a period of
cold, it's ready to flower in the spring), another by increasing warmth,
another may be triggered by heavier rainfall, another by light levels.

This means that a warm wet December might accelerate growth in some
plants, while delaying growth in those which are still waiting for the
winter cold.
--
Kay

Thank you Kay for the explanation. As you know my gardening knowledge
is scant and that's why I enjoy being an urgler.

Something else I've noticed today is that last year's hollyhocks died
down and now there is new growth at the base, about 2 leaves high.
February here in France is really vicious and I expect that this new
growth will be lost, will my hollyhocks survive being started into
growth when they shouldn't have and then knocked back a second time in
February?

Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

judith lea writes

[...]

First little daffs of the season - first.jpg Ann Garden Photos 1 03-04-2008 02:27 AM
First first early spuds Peter Robinson United Kingdom 12 25-05-2007 08:13 PM
First Daffodils Robert United Kingdom 5 15-01-2006 05:30 PM
First bloom of first orchid davegb Orchids 14 29-01-2005 08:07 PM
my first pond and other first pond Scott Vande Krol Ponds 7 29-06-2003 07:08 PM