Old 04-01-2007, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Winter comparisons

"Sacha" wrote in message
We got back from Jersey this evening and have yet to do a tour of our own
garden - it is dark, wet and windy and the flight was horrid! However, we
noticed that, in Jersey, mimosa is coming into flower, daffodils are a

*lot*
further advanced than here, though not yet in bloom, Correa and Rosmarinus
are in full flower and the buds on the Magnolias are fat and promising.
However, when we arrived in Jersey the temp was 2 degrees lower than

Exeter
and during our 5 day stay the two have been pretty much the same. I can
only imagine that Jersey is *consistently* warmer while we have more peaks
and troughs in temp terms.
Ray took three Holboellia fruits from the plant we gave my son a couple of
years ago and they're a mass of seeds. Those, along with the acorns from
the holm oaks at my mother's Guernsey house which we took in November and
which are sprouting already, will give the nursery a good stock of these
plants! He also took some seeds from Magnolia grandiflora in the Jersey
garden but I wonder how long *those* will take to become viable trees!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I have never seen fruit on my Holboellias here and have always blamed lack
of warmth at the right time. No sign of daffs but my Correa's and Acacia
bailiana are in full flower, yet many of the things other posters have
remarked are still going strong in their gardens went at the first wiff of
cold back in early November
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk