Old 05-01-2007, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
1970alr 1970alr is offline

Default Composting Ivy

Broadback wrote:
I have Googled for this but there seems a conflict of opinions. Having
cut down three quite large ivy can I simply shred them and chuck them in
the compost?

I've had no problem with chucking young growth into mine, the long bits
that com over the fence from nextdoor. I once buried a load in a
freshly dug patch that had been previously paved (so I was desperate
for some organic matter) and only the bits that stuck out of the soil
sprouted. The rest rotted away quite quickly. Woody bits won't sprout
either, but take longer to rot.

Andrew