Old 05-01-2007, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting Ivy

I have Googled for this but there seems a conflict of opinions. Having
cut down three quite large ivy can I simply shred them and chuck them in
the compost?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
I have Googled for this but there seems a conflict of opinions. Having
cut down three quite large ivy can I simply shred them and chuck them in
the compost?

When I want to compost 'bad weeds' or worried one plant I want to get
rid off would spread in my compost I let them dry until they're
completely dead (I have a dry corner in my veranda which I use for this
at home - on the lotty it's a pile on a piece of old carpet). I
concider Ivy to be a 'bad weed' for my compost - and I let it dry
entirely before chucking it in my compost. HTH

Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have Googled for this but there seems a conflict of opinions. Having cut
down three quite large ivy can I simply shred them and chuck them in the
compost?

I've composted shredded ivy without any problems. I do tend to leave the
compost for the best part of a year or until the worms and other bugs have
finished eating.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
I have Googled for this but there seems a conflict of opinions. Having
cut down three quite large ivy can I simply shred them and chuck them in
the compost?

I've had no problem with chucking young growth into mine, the long bits
that com over the fence from nextdoor. I once buried a load in a
freshly dug patch that had been previously paved (so I was desperate
for some organic matter) and only the bits that stuck out of the soil
sprouted. The rest rotted away quite quickly. Woody bits won't sprout
either, but take longer to rot.

Andrew

Old 05-01-2007, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have Googled for this but there seems a conflict of opinions. Having cut
down three quite large ivy can I simply shred them and chuck them in the
compost?

If I take a cutting of ivy, and want it to grow, it will die. If I drop a
leaf inadvertanlly, it will grow and put down deep roots.

Therefore it is not the genus or species that governs propagation, but the
will of the propagator (the gardener, not the container thing).

I suggest you take cuttings (shred) your ivy & carefull insert (stuff) in
to your compost bin.

Hake

Old 06-01-2007, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Hake wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I have Googled for this but there seems a conflict of opinions. Having cut
down three quite large ivy can I simply shred them and chuck them in the
compost?

If I take a cutting of ivy, and want it to grow, it will die. If I drop a
leaf inadvertanlly, it will grow and put down deep roots.

Therefore it is not the genus or species that governs propagation, but the
will of the propagator (the gardener, not the container thing).

I suggest you take cuttings (shred) your ivy & carefull insert (stuff) in
to your compost bin.

If you can cut plant material with a spade, it's compostable. If not,
shred it or something.

I admit, though, that even quite thin woody stems often fail to break
down properly in a reasonable time. But I was interested to see again
last night how bitty is the compost they make at Kew: the pros don't
seem too bothered about classic textbook friability.

--
Mike.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mike Lyle writes

Hake wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

If you are composting twiggy bits or bits of climber, it makes sense to
chop it first into short lengths (3-4 inches). The presence of partially
rotted twiggy bits isn't a problem when you're using the compost as a
soil conditioner, but what is irritating is finding it's difficult to
shovel because the twig in the shovel full at the front that you're
trying to pick up extends under a great lump of compost further back in
the bin.
--
Kay
Old 06-01-2007, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
I admit, though, that even quite thin woody stems often fail to break
down properly in a reasonable time. But I was interested to see again
last night how bitty is the compost they make at Kew: the pros don't
seem too bothered about classic textbook friability.

I like chunks and bits in my compost. Air circulates better! When I
come to use my compost, I just chuck out on one side the larger stems
that haven't broken down completely - it will either become a bugs nest
or kindlings for my fires. But usually I keep as much bits as I can in
there.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Composting anything was Composting ivy Reid© United Kingdom 5 29-09-2003 09:02 PM
Composting ivy Ted Richardson United Kingdom 19 29-09-2003 09:02 PM