Old 24-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Mr Noname

Default Need some plant suggestions plz

I haven't really dealt with fish specifics yet. I've been trying to gather
info on the flora side first then move to fauna. I have given a cursory look
at fish tho and other than peacocks most fish seem to be 6" or less, this
may not actually be the cae as I said I have only taken a quick glance at
the fish at this point. I was a bit surprised at the number of fish you
suggested tho, but better to err on the side of safety I guess

Thanks for the input and suggestions

Happy Trails

"LeighMo" wrote in message
no filtration? Good luck.... fish poop... it needs to be cleaned..
filtered... whatever.... it's possible to have a non-filtered tank... but
you can't put many fish in it... 5 maybe for a 75g....

I guess that's what the plants are for. But I think this will be a very
difficult project. A Walstead-style tank with Africans...

An
alternative would be to put 5 males of different families, and no

females...
that arrangement will only have a pecking order fight, maybe once, or
twice... and after it's established, no more fights...

That's an interesting idea. It would be pretty, but not very natural.

And I'd
worry about the tank being big enough for this. Malawi cichlids tend to

get
big. One 4" fish produces a lot more waste than four 1" fish. I wouldn't

want
to keep several large fish without filtration. Plus, you'd need a much

larger
tank than you ordinarily would, if you're trying to go with no filtration.

For
many Malawi species, 75 gallons is the minimum even with filtration.

Perhaps a
single breeding pair of some small, peaceful, monogamous species would be
better? (Not that I can think of any at the moment. :-)

btw, Leigh is probably the foremost authority on plants around here...

99x
out of 100, if she says it, you can put your money on it...

Wow, thanks! But I'm sure that honor goes to the likes of Chuck or Tom.

just post more. :-D

Leigh