Old 06-01-2007, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Composting Ivy

Hake wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I have Googled for this but there seems a conflict of opinions. Having cut
down three quite large ivy can I simply shred them and chuck them in the
compost?

If I take a cutting of ivy, and want it to grow, it will die. If I drop a
leaf inadvertanlly, it will grow and put down deep roots.

Therefore it is not the genus or species that governs propagation, but the
will of the propagator (the gardener, not the container thing).

I suggest you take cuttings (shred) your ivy & carefull insert (stuff) in
to your compost bin.

If you can cut plant material with a spade, it's compostable. If not,
shred it or something.

I admit, though, that even quite thin woody stems often fail to break
down properly in a reasonable time. But I was interested to see again
last night how bitty is the compost they make at Kew: the pros don't
seem too bothered about classic textbook friability.

--
Mike.