Old 13-01-2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default Moral: be careful!

Steve wrote:
Did you notice that at the beginning of the article, the cause of the
fire was a ceramic heater but later it was a heat lamp? I can't picture
them being the same thing. They also call it an electrical fire, which
would be a little different than a surface being over heated by a heat
lamp, or what ever. I wonder what really happened?

Steve

Probably the actual "why" won't be reported. No mention regarding the
age of the house.

T. & I have renovated some houses and found some dangerous conditions
with wiring (IMHO). Even new houses have "issues" that make us cringe.
Our time in the military really drove home the fact that our equipment
was acquired from the lowest bidder. Minimum acceptable standards are
the norm and they are still minimal.

We've found extension cords used as wiring inside wall cavities, rodent
nests, termite and ant nests, aluminum mixed with copper, grounded
outlets on old 2 wire (no ground)improper splices (outside of a
junction box or without proper sized wire nuts), circuit breakers or
fuses replaced that exceed the recommended rating of the wiring, or the
old penny behind the fuse.

With all the codes in place, if the room had one 15 amp circuit
(standard for most bedrooms), it is enough to safely power one 1500
watt space heater. Add an undersized extension cord, another space
heater and brighter bulbs, extra humidity and water, then change or
disable the circuit breaker because it trips, you've got a recipe for
disaster.

Nancy