Old 16-01-2007, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Million Bells Calibrachoa Seeds

On 15/1/07 17:12, in article
, "Kentucky"
wrote:

Have collected 20 seeds or so from my million bell baskets.
Does anyone know if they might be viable ?
I enjoy propagating plants from seed and the "duke's mixture" in color
and size when I plant them out.
Having abnormally warm winter here in Kentucky. Some million bell
baskets still showning green.
They usually freeze out in late Oct early Nov.
I have read the forum discussions and expect I may still be able to
take some cuttings for rooting as well.

These are regarded as Petunias in UK. They are fantastic plants and very
long lasting and floriferous. We use them a lot in hanging baskets and
tubs/big pots.
I asked my husband about growing them from saved seed and he says you might
have success but there's also a good chance that they won't come true from
seed. But clearly, you have nothing to lose if you give them a try.
Haven't heard the term "duke's mixture" before but Googling on it, it seems
to mean a weird combination of colours etc. and what we would term a "dog's
breakfast", though yours is probably rather nicer that that implies!
We are having a warm winter, too but the 'million bells' went over a couple
of months ago. It's a very, very small point for an amateur gardener but I
think these plants are protected by Plant Breeder's Rights. Nobody is going
to mind you propagating a few for yourself, of course but don't be tempted
to sell them on to others, just in case it upsets some local nursery or
garden centre!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk