Old 15-01-2007, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Million Bells Calibrachoa Seeds

Have collected 20 seeds or so from my million bell baskets.
Does anyone know if they might be viable ?
I enjoy propagating plants from seed and the "duke's mixture" in color
and size when I plant them out.
Having abnormally warm winter here in Kentucky. Some million bell
baskets still showning green.
They usually freeze out in late Oct early Nov.
I have read the forum discussions and expect I may still be able to
take some cuttings for rooting as well.

Old 16-01-2007, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kentucky wrote:
Have collected 20 seeds or so from my million bell baskets.
Does anyone know if they might be viable ?
I enjoy propagating plants from seed and the "duke's mixture" in color
and size when I plant them out.
Having abnormally warm winter here in Kentucky. Some million bell
baskets still showning green.
They usually freeze out in late Oct early Nov.
I have read the forum discussions and expect I may still be able to
take some cuttings for rooting as well.

Being in the UK, hence uk.rec.gardening, i've no experience of million bell
baskets (perhaps a latin name would help..), duke's mixture, what "freeze
out" means or what normal weather would be like in kentucky.

Perhaps you could ask in a ng set up for you colonial types ;o)

Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd
time!"

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 16-01-2007, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/1/07 17:12, in article
, "Kentucky"
wrote:

Have collected 20 seeds or so from my million bell baskets.
Does anyone know if they might be viable ?
I enjoy propagating plants from seed and the "duke's mixture" in color
and size when I plant them out.
Having abnormally warm winter here in Kentucky. Some million bell
baskets still showning green.
They usually freeze out in late Oct early Nov.
I have read the forum discussions and expect I may still be able to
take some cuttings for rooting as well.

These are regarded as Petunias in UK. They are fantastic plants and very
long lasting and floriferous. We use them a lot in hanging baskets and
tubs/big pots.
I asked my husband about growing them from saved seed and he says you might
have success but there's also a good chance that they won't come true from
seed. But clearly, you have nothing to lose if you give them a try.
Haven't heard the term "duke's mixture" before but Googling on it, it seems
to mean a weird combination of colours etc. and what we would term a "dog's
breakfast", though yours is probably rather nicer that that implies!
We are having a warm winter, too but the 'million bells' went over a couple
of months ago. It's a very, very small point for an amateur gardener but I
think these plants are protected by Plant Breeder's Rights. Nobody is going
to mind you propagating a few for yourself, of course but don't be tempted
to sell them on to others, just in case it upsets some local nursery or
garden centre!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-01-2007, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Richard Cole wrote:
"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd
time!"

Shouldn't that be "That's 11 times I've explained binary to you. I
won't tell you a 100th time!"

11 in base 2 = 3 in base 10 (1 unit + 1x 2)

100 in base 2 = 4 in base 10 (0 units, 0 2's and 1x4)

The original line deliberatly mixes base 2 and base 10 for comic effect. The
"10 times" bit (0 units and 1x 2) would translate to spoken base 10 as
"Twice"

I may be wrong, but that's what i remember from Maths and computing since...

Les

Old 17-01-2007, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 15/1/07 17:12, in article
, "Kentucky"
wrote:

[...]

is it petunia, in the states, I thought that it was a member of the
delphinium family

Old 17-01-2007, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 17/1/07 12:46, in article
Here you a

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...=Search+Images

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

you are right

Old 18-01-2007, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 15/1/07 17:12, in article
, "Kentucky"
wrote:

[...]

and this is why I like you Sacha.......you ignored the stuff, and
answered Kentucky's question! I took quite some astonishing and
impressive pictures at a nursery/farmer's market that specialized in not
only a few nice perennials, but AWESOME baskets and containers of
everything from colors of Pelargoniums (geraniums as my grand mammy
woulda called them, but in colors she'd never imagined) that popped your
eyes out with intensity, to million bells in shades of colors that made
me wish I had MONEY........yeah, they're annuals, but who cared? (if
you could visit the binaries, I'd post a picture or two...I asked
permission to take pictures by the way for a friend who wasn't with me
and would be inspired by the images....she was, by the way.) They even
planted milk crates in a wide variety of annuals that was MOST impressive.

Cold here, hard freeze coming tonight, and I had a fire in the fire
place for the first time in a couple of years. Cold enough to keep the
fireplace stoked for tonight, even if there is a heat pump warming the
rest of the house. The back end on the east gets colder than the main
portion of this weird house! LOL I was doing fine until I looked
through the Bluestone Perennial's catalog..now I have Spring fever! LOL

you're an awesome lady....thanks for being a good gardening person and
answering the question he put forth. by the way, I watered the "empty"
pot that houses my Blood lilies, soon I will see signs of those dark red
tongues sticking out of the soil. Would you bump the pot they're in up
another size in spring? The pot holds about three gallons and is heavy
clay....a bugger for my aching back, but heavy enough to avoid tipping
over when I place it outside to enjoy Spring, Summer and Fall here in
Eastern Tennessee. It even bloomed twice last year! (is that normal when
the bulbs are older?) My Eucheris (Amazon lily) has bloomed, and I KNOW
it will rebloom come summertime. I also have some succulents blooming.
The common name is mother of thousands, and I think it's a kalcholoe.
The flowers are long bells of dark rose reddish pink on the tips of the
lanky stems. All the rest of the succulents and cacti are sulking and
I'm trying not to kill them off in this overly dry house.....(where the
fireplace is, unfortunately is where the bulk of the cacti and
succulents are at since it has the large south facing window they need
for winter survival.) and it's not quite cold enough for the Clivia.....

madgardener up on the quite chilly ridge, back in Fairy Holler
overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee
Old 19-01-2007, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you Sacha, and all, for your advice and information.
I will plant the seeds this March and, assuming they produce plants,
will post results this summer.
The local garden centers that I called all reported that they propagate
this plant from live cuttings.
Considering this, I wonder how new colors are produced ? From seed I
suspect.
Re what normal weather is like here in Kentucky,
during the last 35 years that we have lived in this Ohio river valley
in the northern part of the state,
the winters of 77-78 bottomed out at -33C and summers frequently top
out at +35 C.
Lake Erie is supposedly one meter deep ,on average,
but I would not attempt to walk across it. (smile)
Regards to all.

Britain's police have 4.1 million people in their DNA database, about 1/2 million of them kids. Useful Info United Kingdom 5 15-05-2007 01:18 AM
Million Bells(Calibrachoa) question rosemarie face Gardening 1 20-05-2005 11:09 PM
Million Bells Info? SHARI Gardening 0 11-07-2004 07:02 AM
Problems with calibrachoa ("Million Bells") Patty Winter Gardening 4 04-07-2003 01:08 PM
Million Bells Robert United Kingdom 1 28-03-2003 05:32 AM