Old 16-01-2007, 04:39 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Philip Semanchuk Philip Semanchuk is offline

Default Putting an existing "natural area" into production

In article .com,
"cd" wrote:

About 50% of our lot was thick with mostly pine trees under which was
left as a natural area. We just had many of the pines removed leaving
some large open natural areas full of pine needles, leaves and big
mounds of pine mulch from the stump grinding.

We plan to do a lot of landscaping and put in a garden now that we get
enough sunlight to grow more than just mushrooms and moss. But I'm
wondering what the best first step is to convert the natural areas to
productive gardening soil. My wife thinks we should just spread out the
mounds of pine mulch and mix it with the natural debris. But I'm
worried that all the pine needles will leave a soil that is much too
acidic. I'm thinking we should rake up all the pine needles first.

What is the best way to turn a natural area into a gardening area? I
would appreciate any advice or pointers to information about what to do
in a situation like this.

Hi cd,
I am by no means an expert but I agree with your assessment that pine
needles & pine tree mulch are an unexciting soil amendment except for
specific plants (carnivorous plants, or maybe acid-lovers like
rhododendron). I'd have a look at what the existing soil is like -- you
could even get it tested at your local Ag extension office. A decent
soil amendment that's usually free from somewhere is composted leaves.
Whether your soil is clay-y or sandy (usually the two choices around
here), composted leaves break up the monotony. If you plan to plant a
vegetable garden, I'd imagine that the plants would benefit from the
addition of some nitrogen to the soil. YOu could even try planting a
cover crop of red clover right now. If it grows, it will add nitrogen to
the soil as it does and it'll add even more when you till it in when the
weather gets warm. If it doesn't grow, you've wasted $3 on seed.

HTH
--
Philip Semanchuk
email: first name @ last name.com