Old 18-01-2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.ponds
Tristan Tristan is offline

Default New to Ponds

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:30:31 GMT, "Al Schmidt"
wrote:

I have just moved into a property with existing pond. Here in Fort Wayne,
IN, it has barely been winter. Lots of rain and moderate temperatures
(30-40). The pond is really filing up, toward over flowing. It is
approximately 1/2 acre in size, maybe larger now... Should there be an over
flow? I will look in spring, assuming that the water level drops. This is a
large pond, recommendations on books to learn from?

Al

Over flow....not necessarily. A means to get rid of water that gets to
the full mark is simply overflowoing the bank at a predetermined low
area......Matter off fact a major portion of ponds have no overflow
culverts or pipes and rely on a spillway (lowest portion of dam or
bank around pond) to simply allow water to spill out and run off.

1/2 acre is large compared to most folks in this forums back yard
water gardens and kiddie pools, but its basically still small as
compared to lots of common sized mud type ponds. Taking care of a
naatural type mud poond is totally different in lots of ways as
keeping care of a liner type pond which practically everyone here has.
I tend to mud ponds myself, and have three 1, 2.5 and 3.5 acres in
size.....and even if I am not able to achieve gin clear water mud
ponds is the only way for me. Lot less problems and its basically
maintenance free and suelf sustaining. Just be aware of what you
plant in a natural mud pond as some plants can be invasive.

What type of fish if any do you have in your pond?
Any idea how deep the pond is?
Is it fed and filled solely by rain water and runoff?

Mud ponds rule!

-------