Old 17-01-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default New to Ponds

I have just moved into a property with existing pond. Here in Fort Wayne,
IN, it has barely been winter. Lots of rain and moderate temperatures
(30-40). The pond is really filing up, toward over flowing. It is
approximately 1/2 acre in size, maybe larger now... Should there be an over
flow? I will look in spring, assuming that the water level drops. This is a
large pond, recommendations on books to learn from?

Al

Old 18-01-2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:30:31 GMT, "Al Schmidt"
wrote:

I have just moved into a property with existing pond. Here in Fort Wayne,
IN, it has barely been winter. Lots of rain and moderate temperatures
(30-40). The pond is really filing up, toward over flowing. It is
approximately 1/2 acre in size, maybe larger now... Should there be an over
flow? I will look in spring, assuming that the water level drops. This is a
large pond, recommendations on books to learn from?

Al

Over flow....not necessarily. A means to get rid of water that gets to
the full mark is simply overflowoing the bank at a predetermined low
area......Matter off fact a major portion of ponds have no overflow
culverts or pipes and rely on a spillway (lowest portion of dam or
bank around pond) to simply allow water to spill out and run off.

1/2 acre is large compared to most folks in this forums back yard
water gardens and kiddie pools, but its basically still small as
compared to lots of common sized mud type ponds. Taking care of a
naatural type mud poond is totally different in lots of ways as
keeping care of a liner type pond which practically everyone here has.
I tend to mud ponds myself, and have three 1, 2.5 and 3.5 acres in
size.....and even if I am not able to achieve gin clear water mud
ponds is the only way for me. Lot less problems and its basically
maintenance free and suelf sustaining. Just be aware of what you
plant in a natural mud pond as some plants can be invasive.

What type of fish if any do you have in your pond?
Any idea how deep the pond is?
Is it fed and filled solely by rain water and runoff?

Mud ponds rule!

-------
Old 18-01-2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.ponds

Al Schmidt wrote:

I have just moved into a property with existing pond. Here in Fort Wayne,
IN, it has barely been winter. Lots of rain and moderate temperatures
(30-40). The pond is really filing up, toward over flowing. It is
approximately 1/2 acre in size, maybe larger now... Should there be an
over flow? I will look in spring, assuming that the water level drops.
This is a large pond, recommendations on books to learn from?

No books to recommend, and if it fills up there *will* be an overflow,
whether the water goes where you want etc. is up to you to a large extent.
I've got three natural (unlined) ponds here and they vary as to how they
get water, how exposed to evaporation, things like that. If the pond is
fed by a pretty regular source of water, an overflow can keep the water
level pretty constant. Otherwise, you may experience wide fluctuations in
the depth of your water.

--
Galen Hekhuis

Old 18-01-2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.ponds

Al,

When a pond overflows, you run the risk of a channel being cut on the
dam. An overflow standpipe rsolves that quite well.

Jim

Old 18-01-2007, 01:36 PM posted to rec.ponds

Thats bullshit...If its dished and swells out it is not going to cut
any channel. A standpipe is mopre prone to leaks from channeling
along it than a earthen bem type overflow properly planted without
lots of drop to it.
Get a clue Jim..your clueless right now and flying by assumption.

Old 18-01-2007, 01:47 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Al Schmidt" wrote:

I have just moved into a property with existing pond. Here in Fort Wayne,
IN, it has barely been winter. Lots of rain and moderate temperatures
(30-40). The pond is really filing up, toward over flowing.

Is it fed by a stream or just natural runoff? The Soil Conservation people
have data on maximum rainfall in any area, provided you have some idea how
much area drains into the pond.
How deep is the deepest part of the pond? You may have to wait until it
either freezes or thaws enough to swim to find out.... my earth pond is a
similar size, and large mouth bass do well in it, provided they're
occasionally thinned. I favor the worm and six-pack method, myself!

For what it's worth, this group has a moderate troll infestation... I deal
with it best by ignoring them, and killfiling the repeat offenders and
those who feed them. Which is quite enough of that!

All the best in your new location.

Old 18-01-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.ponds

Gary's suggestion makes good sense. Soilk conservation, fish and game
and your local federal farm folk could probably advise you well. Down
here in MS, they are very helpful. On our pond, recently built, we
have an 8" standpipe and overflow areas at both enda of the dam. The
overflow should only be need for the 'century' rain. Sufficient width
and good grass hold the soil well for an occasional overflow. If you
pond overflows regularly, you do stand a chance of cuts in it. I am
sure your local professionals can and will be glad to advise you.

If you don't have a standpipe now and the dam looks good, that is
surely empirical evidence that the situation has been fairly stable.
Do you know how old the pond is?

Jim

Old 18-01-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds

Yet more utter bullshit being spewed there Jim....a ****ing
standpiipe is not necessary.ya got that dumass? Your beating aorund
the bush to try to counter your initial post since it was so far out
in left fild and we sure do know you and the misses of yours hate to
be proven wrong now don't ya!
]

I guess you have a stand pipe at each end so the pond is the same
level across the entire surface huh! dumbass! You just had to attend
the same school as Carol Gulley.......

I wonder why after 20+ yeats my soil is not cut into on my initial
apond with a sod spillway...think I need to go tel my spill way its
suppoes to cut through since it is just sod? Yea, right, I need a
stand pipe........and everyone else if they expect their ponds to come
close to being as perfect as Mr. Jim and Missy Physilss or what the
hell her name is, they need a standpipe......duh! CArol Gulley trained
them for sure!

Old 18-01-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:30:31 GMT, "Al Schmidt" wrote:

I have just moved into a property with existing pond. Here in Fort Wayne,
IN, it has barely been winter. Lots of rain and moderate temperatures
(30-40). The pond is really filing up, toward over flowing. It is
approximately 1/2 acre in size, maybe larger now... Should there be an over
flow? I will look in spring, assuming that the water level drops. This is a
large pond, recommendations on books to learn from?

Al

Hi Al,

I have had a fairly large earth/mud pond for quite a few years. I had it
dug out with an giant excavator. (Cost big $$). It sits at one end of my
property, on a slope. The lower side is about a foot lower than the high side.
I have a lot of overflows when it rains because of the land slope on the
upper side.
I put in a 10" standpipe, about 20 feet long. It empties into a ditch
at the edge of my property.
I bought a 18x24" piece of rubber , cut a 9 1/2 inch hole in it, and forced
it around the end of the pipe that was on the pond side. Then I carefully
buried it. It has worked perfectly for years, and the water has never cut a
path through the top side of the pond. (Ground is mostly clay.)

There is an excellent book called "Earth Ponds" by Tim Matson. It is a
few years old. I have a copy. You might check your local library system.
Tim also has a website called earthponds.com Be sure to check that out.

I frequently go to the Ft. Wayne area. (Actually, Warsaw, about 30 miles
west.) I have belonged to the Popular Rotorcraft Association for the past 30+
years. We build our own helicopters. We have a convention every summer near
Warsaw.
There are lots and lots of homeowners and farmers with small ponds in that
area. (They are very visible from 1000' up.) I'm sure you could find a
few, and just stop by and ask the owners any questions you might have about
care, upkeep, etc. The people of Indiana are very friendly.
I know. One year I crashed my helicopter in a beanfield. The farmer
drove his tractor and trailer right through the full-grown crop to help me
retrieve the copter.
Caused a lot of damage to his crop, and I offered to pay him for it, but
he refused. He was far more interested "that crazy machine". I'm sure he had
stories to tell his friends.

Al, one last point. This group, rec.ponds, used to be a great group for
learning about ponds, but in recent years it has collapsed due to radical
trolling. It is not even a shadow of its former self.
There is an effort underway to create a new group called
rec.ponds.moderated, that will be free of trolling. Hopefully, it will be up
and running within 1-2 months. Please look for it then, and feel free to join
in.
If you want to learn more about the plans for rec.ponds.moderated, you
can go to news.groups.proposals It is itself a new group, and you may
have to ask your news service provider to ask that it be added. If you go
there, and like what you read about r.p.m, then please feel free to leave a
message of support on that group (n.g.p).

Thanks Al, and good luck. Feel free to contact me if you wish.

Ron Schompert

Old 18-01-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.ponds

Yea yea yea, between you and Jim and his wife syphillis it always
has top have $$$$ ocnnected to it for it to be bigger than and
better than anyhting else anyone has....you been tapping the
collection plate probably......Too bad you did not crash in my field
you dumbass fly by night holy man! I would have taught you a new
lesson in tresspass and fellowship..........

Old 19-01-2007, 05:41 AM posted to rec.ponds

Does your wife know you pay women for what you can't get at home? Get back
on your meds Roy Tristan before eveyone knows what you are. Your alreay
looking damn bad in the eyes of the public what with slandering old
women... disabled vets and whoremongering the honky tonks..........

Old 20-01-2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.ponds

[...]

oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a giant excavator, how exciting.... HOw the
hell does a pond sit on a slope water sets level no matter where its
art dumbass! Oh wow, talk about cheapass. Are yu related to
Carol Gulley the frugal ponder.... using rubber......which is a chance
and a potential for a leak no matter how you look at it, alal for the
sake of a few yards of concrete......yet afterall you spent BIG $$$
yet cut corners like a cheapskjate Carol Gulley and her cat food for
Kopi

There is an excellent book called "Earth Ponds" by Tim Matson. It is a
few years old. I have a copy. You might check your local library system.
Tim also has a website called earthponds.com Be sure to check that out.

I frequently go to the Ft. Wayne area. (Actually, Warsaw, about 30 miles
west.) I have belonged to the Popular Rotorcraft Association for the past 30+
years. We build our own helicopters. We have a convention every summer near
Warsaw

Who cares where you frequent Ron., Carol frequents truck stops, dark
alleys and street corners.......are yu one of her patrons? Or is she
subject matter for your sunday sermons, and your ohly out there
witnessing to her! Yea thats it.
There are lots and lots of homeowners and farmers with small ponds in that
area. (They are very visible from 1000' up.) I'm sure you could find a
few, and just stop by and ask the owners any questions you might have about
care, upkeep, etc. The people of Indiana are very friendly.
I know. One year I crashed my helicopter in a beanfield. The farmer
drove his tractor and trailer right through the full-grown crop to help me
retrieve the copter.

Dumb ass.....and the farmer should have shot your ass.
Caused a lot of damage to his crop, and I offered to pay him for it, but
he refused. He was far more interested "that crazy machine". I'm sure he had
stories to tell his friends.

yea laike they do not know what helicopters are......why lie about the
crap Ron......you been hanging around CArol too long perhaps!

Al, one last point. This group, rec.ponds, used to be a great group for
learning about ponds, but in recent years it has collapsed due to radical
trolling. It is not even a shadow of its former self.

Its old hat Ronnie boy.old hat.......its like carols ponds.......a
cess pool all due to one person and a few enablers........most of whom
are now your moderators........
There is an effort underway to create a new group called
rec.ponds.moderated, that will be free of trolling. Hopefully, it will be up
and running within 1-2 months. Please look for it then, and feel free to join

Yet another nazi moderated forum in direct control by mods with a
narrow vision.....except for perhaps 1 or two.
in.
If you want to learn more about the plans for rec.ponds.moderated, you
can go to news.groups.proposals It is itself a new group, and you may
have to ask your news service provider to ask that it be added. If you go
there, and like what you read about r.p.m, then please feel free to leave a
message of support on that group (n.g.p).

Yea, right if any9one wants to know about real ponds they cxertianly
should not go on usenet, but need to hit one of the web based forums
where folks do it right and not half assed like Ron and CArol and most
others...that are so wrapped up in usent and a moderated forum./

Thanks Al, and good luck. Feel free to contact me if you wish.

Who the **** is "AL" is AL one of CArols socks or do you not know how
to spell "ALL" ? Like I said dumbass holy man looking to build up his
flock of sheeple
Ron Schompert the king pin dumbass

-------

My Brother's Ponds. Link to on line photo album of his ponds. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 14 03-07-2004 03:04 AM
New to ponds. Steve and Tiffany Ponds 4 01-06-2003 02:44 PM
new to group ... and ponds : ) Nanceemo Ponds 6 15-04-2003 04:08 AM