Old 18-01-2007, 01:47 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default New to Ponds

"Al Schmidt" wrote:

I have just moved into a property with existing pond. Here in Fort Wayne,
IN, it has barely been winter. Lots of rain and moderate temperatures
(30-40). The pond is really filing up, toward over flowing.

Is it fed by a stream or just natural runoff? The Soil Conservation people
have data on maximum rainfall in any area, provided you have some idea how
much area drains into the pond.
How deep is the deepest part of the pond? You may have to wait until it
either freezes or thaws enough to swim to find out.... my earth pond is a
similar size, and large mouth bass do well in it, provided they're
occasionally thinned. I favor the worm and six-pack method, myself!

For what it's worth, this group has a moderate troll infestation... I deal
with it best by ignoring them, and killfiling the repeat offenders and
those who feed them. Which is quite enough of that!

All the best in your new location.