Old 18-01-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default New to Ponds

Gary's suggestion makes good sense. Soilk conservation, fish and game
and your local federal farm folk could probably advise you well. Down
here in MS, they are very helpful. On our pond, recently built, we
have an 8" standpipe and overflow areas at both enda of the dam. The
overflow should only be need for the 'century' rain. Sufficient width
and good grass hold the soil well for an occasional overflow. If you
pond overflows regularly, you do stand a chance of cuts in it. I am
sure your local professionals can and will be glad to advise you.

If you don't have a standpipe now and the dam looks good, that is
surely empirical evidence that the situation has been fairly stable.
Do you know how old the pond is?

Jim