Old 19-01-2007, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Soggy garden

Our main garden is in a low spot and stays soggy in the spring so we've been
digging a drainage ditch through the woods (an old logging road). I
estimated it would be about 100' long but when I paced it off today it seems
closer to 200'. This is the ditch I started with a garden plow on a small
farm tractor a couple weeks ago. Now we are digging by hand. The lower 50'
was a wet spot too. We have a ditch dug there and it is draining. From the
garden we have about 30' dug and trying to drain. Working both ends toward
the middle. We've covered the ditch with old black tarps and metal sheets so
there is no frost yet - but with the wind forecast we probably won't make
much progress tomorrow. If we get it draining it will aloww us to start
planting a couple weeks earlier than in most springs.