Old 19-01-2007, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Soggy garden

Our main garden is in a low spot and stays soggy in the spring so we've been
digging a drainage ditch through the woods (an old logging road). I
estimated it would be about 100' long but when I paced it off today it seems
closer to 200'. This is the ditch I started with a garden plow on a small
farm tractor a couple weeks ago. Now we are digging by hand. The lower 50'
was a wet spot too. We have a ditch dug there and it is draining. From the
garden we have about 30' dug and trying to drain. Working both ends toward
the middle. We've covered the ditch with old black tarps and metal sheets so
there is no frost yet - but with the wind forecast we probably won't make
much progress tomorrow. If we get it draining it will aloww us to start
planting a couple weeks earlier than in most springs.

Old 20-01-2007, 12:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
Our main garden is in a low spot and stays soggy in the spring so we've
been digging a drainage ditch through the woods (an old logging road). I
estimated it would be about 100' long but when I paced it off today it
seems closer to 200'. This is the ditch I started with a garden plow on a
small farm tractor a couple weeks ago. Now we are digging by hand. The
lower 50' was a wet spot too. We have a ditch dug there and it is
draining. From the garden we have about 30' dug and trying to drain.
Working both ends toward the middle. We've covered the ditch with old
black tarps and metal sheets so there is no frost yet - but with the wind
forecast we probably won't make much progress tomorrow. If we get it
draining it will aloww us to start planting a couple weeks earlier than
in most springs.

Hat's off Sarge. Is it really muddy, or no?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30gb/month
Old 20-01-2007, 01:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
Our main garden is in a low spot and stays soggy in the spring so we've
been digging a drainage ditch through the woods (an old logging road). I
estimated it would be about 100' long but when I paced it off today it
seems closer to 200'. This is the ditch I started with a garden plow on a
small farm tractor a couple weeks ago. Now we are digging by hand. The
lower 50' was a wet spot too. We have a ditch dug there and it is
draining. From the garden we have about 30' dug and trying to drain.
Working both ends toward the middle. We've covered the ditch with old
black tarps and metal sheets so there is no frost yet - but with the wind
forecast we probably won't make much progress tomorrow. If we get it
draining it will aloww us to start planting a couple weeks earlier than
in most springs.

Hat's off Sarge. Is it really muddy, or no?

You should see my workboots and the driver's floor of the Jeep LOL
Muddy - yes - and it's the real sticky kind.

Old 20-01-2007, 01:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
[...]

I kinda figured it was, otherwise you could try a rented trencher against
it.

You're not trenching level ground either, right? Traction could be a
problem.

Sounds like real family fun with the better half out there digging with
you. Hats off to a good woman!

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month
Old 20-01-2007, 02:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
[...]

No - it's reasonably level. The "trenchers" cost almost as much as a small
excavator and don't make a very wide ditch. Yes, she is a good woman. She
spent most of her life in cities and dealing with other sane adults so she
is learning a whole new way of life in the country with me. LOL

Old 20-01-2007, 02:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
[...]

You're digging a creek?

Yes, she is a good
woman. She spent most of her life in cities and dealing with other sane
adults so she is learning a whole new way of life in the country with me.
LOL

Hehe, I'm lucky in love that way over here too Sarge, what a blessing. 21
years.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month
Old 20-01-2007, 02:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
[...]

God bless ya both !!

Old 20-01-2007, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Hehe, I'm lucky in love that way over here too Sarge, what a blessing.

21 years.

God bless ya both !!

Thanks, and good luck with your soggy garden.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month