Old 20-01-2007, 12:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo Steveo is offline

Default Soggy garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
Our main garden is in a low spot and stays soggy in the spring so we've
been digging a drainage ditch through the woods (an old logging road). I
estimated it would be about 100' long but when I paced it off today it
seems closer to 200'. This is the ditch I started with a garden plow on a
small farm tractor a couple weeks ago. Now we are digging by hand. The
lower 50' was a wet spot too. We have a ditch dug there and it is
draining. From the garden we have about 30' dug and trying to drain.
Working both ends toward the middle. We've covered the ditch with old
black tarps and metal sheets so there is no frost yet - but with the wind
forecast we probably won't make much progress tomorrow. If we get it
draining it will aloww us to start planting a couple weeks earlier than
in most springs.

Hat's off Sarge. Is it really muddy, or no?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30gb/month