Old 20-01-2007, 07:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default weather and bee behavior

In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

????? How is this relevant? The article is from 2002!!!!!!! and the
so called "prediction" for a decent rainfall in southern Australia the
following year was way off the mark! We're into our SIXTH year of
drought now with rainfalls consistently at least a third lower than
they should be.

I have a question. What *is* the rainfall that you should have? At what
point do we call it drought? Isn't drought just the rough end of the
pineapple of variance, and something we should expect and allow for? I am
just wondering about our averages, and whether in fact there are many years
where rainfall is near-average (either in your area or mine). Could it be
that in some places we get either wet or drought years, without too many in
the middle?

Sydney is having another dry summer but it is not as dry as last year IMO.
The BOM don't have the Dec rainfall figures out yet, but I am guessing they
are only a bit below average. Temps seem lower too, and it is more humid
(though not actually *high* humidity; it's been about 50% this week). Wonder
how many scorchers we'll get this February?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue