Old 20-01-2007, 09:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default weather and bee behavior

Well actually there was a prediction some 5 to 6 weeks ago, on the ABC,
which predicted heavy falls. I couldnt find that article, but
substituted this one. So nature does make some mistakes, or we dont
interpret it well enough.
I wondered if anyone noticed the ants running 4 lane highways through
their place? Mine certainly were presistant. Gee I hate argentinian ants.
I would really suggest the weather buerau keep some bees etc...and study
them regarding weather predictions.
The solar flares also seem to have something to do with it.
Any one know about Inego Jones?

Farm1 wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

an extract from the ABC Website regarding
www.abc.net.au From this page
http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/stories/s739932.htm

????? How is this relevant? The article is from 2002!!!!!!! and the
so called "prediction" for a decent rainfall in southern Australia the
following year was way off the mark! We're into our SIXTH year of
drought now with rainfalls consistently at least a third lower than
they should be.

In the beginning of 1998 Katherine had the biggest flood in a

century.

Six months later, half of NSW also saw massive floods. Peter

Norville

says the wet season is definitely linked to rainfall down south.

BRIGID GLANVILLE: In Alice Springs an apiarist is well known for his
predictions of rainfall by watching the behaviour of his bees. On a
number of occasions when the bees start closing off the entrances to

the

hives it's meant big rainfall is on the way. His following is also
legendary.

PETER NORVILLE: There's no question about it. When you've got a

decent

wet season happening across the top of Australia, some of the cloud

that

builds with that can't help but flow down through central Australia

and

into NSW. It's got to give you a slightly better chance at the very
least of getting something happening in our own backyard.

BRIGID GLANVILLE: So what are we seeing at the moment in the

Territory

and what's likely to come down south?

PETER NORVILLE: It tried to get underway with the wet season there a

few

weeks back and then sort of fizzled out. And just in the last five

or

six days it's happening again now. There's been some really good

cloud

up there around about last weekend, and certainly some cloud

drifting

down through our state at the moment. And all we need is a decent
pressure system to actually help to activate that. Hopefully that

wet

season type cloud up there already has moisture with it.

BRIGID GLANVILLE: While Peter Norville admits the Bureau of

Meteorology

is accurate for predicting temperatures, he says they don't have the
technology to predict rainfall, so he looks to south Asia for

movement.

PETER NORVILLE: Well, the most important thing to me is what call

"the

window". And with the technology that's available today on the

Internet

with weather information satellites looking down on earth and

satellite

photos, it's wonderful. It opened a window to us. It's a bit like

the

person who lives and works in the city, in an office, can't see

outside.

We have this massive window to the globe. We can see what's going

on.

And when I suddenly started to see this some years back, I said,

look,

the Bay of Bengal. Look at those cloud bands that are forming around
there. And over a few days you would watch them drift down towards
Western Australia. And then I'd notice that pattern would stop. It
happens at different times. At the moment the Bay of Bengal is

hardly

doing a thing, I would suggest for us.

The Bureau admits there may be a coincidence with a good wet season

and

above average rainfall down south. But they don't rely on it for

forecasts.

BLAIR TREWIN: It happens sometimes and there've certainly been quite

few instances in the past when very good wet seasons in the north

have

been followed by wet years in the south. 1974 was a very good

example of

that, also 2000 in a lot of places.