Old 21-01-2007, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Antony Legat Antony Legat is offline

Default Does anyone know Where I can get railway sleepers?

tina wrote:
Hi,

I'm going to try and make r raised beds & was told that railway
sleepers are a good material to use.

I have just had a look on 't old internet & can find Mone bros in
Leeds selling them for £23.50 each, which bearing in mind the number
I'll need (about 18) puts it way out of my price range.
£423 can buy a lot of veg :-)

My guess is that as they've been used in a lot of garden makeover
shows the price has gone up some what & there cashing in.

Does anyone know of a Leeds supplier of railway sleepers that sell
them at a more affordable price?

Thanks very much.

Hi Tina, the sleepers sound expensive to me. It's quite possible to
create raised beds without any edging supports at all - in my opinion
they look a lot better (more natural) this way. Edging such as
sleepers/planks/bricks are a perfect hiding place for slugs and snails
according to Patrick Whitefield: 'Raised Vegetable Gardening ... the
advantages of raised beds and how to design and make them' ~ current
(Winter) edition 'Permaculture Magazine'.

Antony

--
Delete 'SP_BLK_' to reply