Old 21-01-2007, 11:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default weather and bee behavior

In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Just very qucikly as I have to go and do somethign about dinner. I
think you need to consider trends and variations from the averages.
For example the trend has been for lower rainfall in many parts in Aus
for at least a 30 year period - SW WA is one area where the trend has
been downward in that time. Averages are just that over the lifetime
of rainfall records and we cna be up or down from that in any one
year.

The BOM uses a 30-year average, I think. Yes, it was the variance I was
interested in, not the mean.

What seems to be happening here is that the rainfall is falling in a
different way - eg big drops alla t one rather than over a longer
term.

sorry this is garbled I know and I'll have to think about it and
correct later on.

One change I've noticed is that back in the Old Days, highs and lows would
head up out of the Bight and drift in an arc across NSW. Now, they aren't
centred on the Bight and the arc takes them up into southern Qld. That pulls
more monsoon rain into Central Australia, but leaves the south-east of the
continent drier. Not sure if this is part of El Nino or separate.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue