Old 21-01-2007, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews Gill Matthews is offline

Default Does anyone know Where I can get railway sleepers?

In article , says...
Hi,

I'm going to try and make r raised beds & was told that railway
sleepers are a good material to use.

I have just had a look on 't old internet & can find Mone bros in
Leeds selling them for £23.50 each, which bearing in mind the number
I'll need (about 18) puts it way out of my price range.
£423 can buy a lot of veg :-)

My guess is that as they've been used in a lot of garden makeover
shows the price has gone up some what & there cashing in.

Does anyone know of a Leeds supplier of railway sleepers that sell
them at a more affordable price?

Thanks very much.

use old recycled scaffold planks not railway sleepers. These are inevitably
expensive because they have a huge ammount of wood in them. Sleepers
recycled from the railway are no longer sold because of the large
quantitiy of carcenogenic tar products they contain. Scaffolding companies
and hire firms regularly replace their planks as not being safe enough to
use but they are still plenty strong enogh to hold back a bit of earth.

Gill M