Old 22-01-2007, 09:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.environment
Tony Williams Tony Williams is offline

Default Fallen trees.

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I surmise taht without leaves, there is enough force to snap a
rotten tree when those around it are leafless..but in full leaf
the healthy trees can take bending almost to the ground, and are
more likely to uproot than snap. Certainly I saw ONE healthy ash
tree that had been snapped by another dead one falling against
it..and even then with its crown on the ground, it hadn't broken
- half the lower trunk remained bent at 90 degrees ...

Ivy is the problem in this parish. It gives wind
resistance to trees that would otherwise survive
high winds in winter.

--
Tony Williams.