Old 23-01-2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Jeffrey L. Kline Jeffrey L. Kline is offline

Default Moving - how do I take a rose with me?

Good suggestions Gail, just like they suggest it in the books.

I have split roots balls of old worlds, as well as rogosa, but I'm not sure
if doing that will increase or decrease the likelihood of a positive
outcome. I usually decide base on the presents or absent of a "tap root".
I know, they say roses don't have true tap roots, but you know what I mean.
If the root formation is based on a single, large root with feeders
branching from it, I wouldn't split it. It, on the other hand, it is more
ball-like, with clear runners, I might cut of a chunk and pot it. It
shouldn't effect the main plant and it might offer a chance at a second
plant.

Other than that, I guess you might consider a root stimulating product when
you plant it. When I buy roses in a bag, I have better luck getting then to
make it through its first Michigan winter if I use some.

Best regards, and think spring.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, zone 5

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"huskies4all" wrote in message
ups.com...
We're possibly going to be moving in the next 2 weeks (it's January
21
as I write this)

I have a rose that is a family heirloom; it's been passed down for 4
generations via cuttings or diggings, and it's quite important that
keep this plant. It has *huge* sentimental value.

Some of you may remember it; the story is at:
http://huskies4all.blogspot.com/2005...-rosebush.html

SO, what's the best method for me to move this rose and have it
survive? As of now, there are about 6 canes that are coming up from
the ground.

Should I dig the whole sucker up and move it?

Yes. See below.

Should I separate all those canes into individual plants?

Ah - no? From your blog description (nicely
written, by the way!), it sounds like some
variety of old garden rose, and some of those
can/do propagate by runners. But roses I'm
familar with all come from one "stem" so
there's nothing to separate. Better to keep
it all together, I think.

Should I replant it now? (hard, frozen ground)

Ah - no. As a general rule, rose bushes
should be planted when the ground is warm
enough to work. Definitely not while frozen.

Should I store it?
How do I store it?

Help!!

Dig it up. Take as much of a root ball as you
can, but that probably won't be much. Put it in
a large plastic pot (light enough for you to
handle without killing yourself), top off with
potting soil (no fertilizer). It should be dormant
or nearly dormant now so it should be ok in a
pot until you're ready to plant it in the ground, or
you can even keep it in the pot for awhile. Maybe
let it re-establish itself in the pot, then plant it in the
ground when you feel it's healthy again. I've
done that with several roses.

Don't let the soil dry out, but don't keep it
soaking wet. I always use pots with drain
holes. It can stay in a shed or garage while
the outside temps are really cold, but it
should be exposed to sun, especially if/when
it starts to leaf out. Roses require sun.

Do prune it back. The usual rule is prune
back the top about as much as you pruned
the roots when you dug it up. I prune back
as much as I need to be able to handle
a rose bush.

HTH - Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA