Old 24-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Terry Horton

Default purple flowering trees

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:39:50 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:44:00 GMT, "tom" wrote:

Anyone know where I could get a small (1g) Redbud (var. texensis)?

I checked the Depot but they only had 10g and I don't think they were then
native variety.

Any garden center will have it. Call around to The Natural Gardener, Barton Springs
Garden Center, Park Place Gardens, GARDENS (on 35th st), etc.

If ever we sell this place, I think the ad will mention that we're
midway between Barton Springs Nursery and the Natural Gardener. :-)

If I were to buy another, I'd seek out the variety 'Forest Pansy.'
This redbud has the very deep colored flowers with a purple-ish leaf.

If you do please report back. It's of course an eastern redbud (not
var. texensis), so make sure to it gets plenty of water and lots of
afternoon shade. I've seen maybe a half dozen around here, and all
seemed to have a problem with leaf spot that, despite the interesting
coloration, left them less attractive by summer's end than the native
varieties.

Our most interesting redbud is a 'Traveller', a weeping Texas redbud
we picked up at Madrone Nursery in San Marcos. It's a mound of
writhing branches 3' tall and 8' across! My niece trained her's to
cascade down a rock wall.