Old 21-03-2003, 01:20 AM
tom

Default purple flowering trees

What are the small trees that are flowering purple right now?

tom

Old 21-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Babberney

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:22:19 GMT, "tom" wrote:

What are the small trees that are flowering purple right now?

tom

Most of them are Redbuds (Cercis canadensis). If you buy one, look
for the natives (C. canadensis var. texensis)--Eastern Redbuds
struggle in our alkaline soil. They are more pink than purple, but
probably what you mean.

Mexican buckeyes are also blooming. They are more of a low, wide bush
than an upright tree.

Peach trees are also flowering, but generally they are a lighter pink
and unlikely to be called purple.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html
Old 24-03-2003, 02:44 PM
L & S

Mine has just started to. Can't wait - they are the glory of my garden in
the Spring!
"animaux" wrote in message
Mine haven't leafed out yet!

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:07:56 GMT, "S. Wheeler"

wrote:

Vitex are blooming here in Houston--purple clusters that resemble lilacs

Old 24-03-2003, 05:56 PM
animaux

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 04:34:34 GMT, Karen wrote:

(Babberney) wrote in
news:06C992840CBC8C25.3F167455028B291B.92465EAA7B .
net:
Most of them are Redbuds (Cercis canadensis).

I thought they were mountain laurel.

Karen

Mountain laurel have blooms which resemble the racemes of a wisteria.

Old 24-03-2003, 09:08 PM
animaux

Yes, I have two. 'Carolina Blue' and a white. Some seed germinated near the base of
my blue and I gave some of them away to neighbors. One neighbor called the police on
me because he said I was growing pot. Asshole.

I planted another yesterday near our brush pile which houses skinks, fence lizards,
anoles, rats, birds, and we saw a ribbon snake!

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:45:18 GMT, "L & S" wrote:

Mine has just started to. Can't wait - they are the glory of my garden in
the Spring!
.. .

Old 24-03-2003, 09:32 PM
David Wright

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:12:09 GMT, animaux
wrote:

One neighbor called the police on
me because he said I was growing pot. Asshole.

Two years ago (in San Antonio), a former neighbor called in to
complain about our "trashy" front yard. The city official who came out
complimented me on our xeriscape and said he wished other people would
do what we were doing.

David
Old 24-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Terry Horton

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:39:50 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:44:00 GMT, "tom" wrote:

Anyone know where I could get a small (1g) Redbud (var. texensis)?

I checked the Depot but they only had 10g and I don't think they were then
native variety.

Any garden center will have it. Call around to The Natural Gardener, Barton Springs
Garden Center, Park Place Gardens, GARDENS (on 35th st), etc.

If ever we sell this place, I think the ad will mention that we're
midway between Barton Springs Nursery and the Natural Gardener. :-)

If I were to buy another, I'd seek out the variety 'Forest Pansy.'
This redbud has the very deep colored flowers with a purple-ish leaf.

If you do please report back. It's of course an eastern redbud (not
var. texensis), so make sure to it gets plenty of water and lots of
afternoon shade. I've seen maybe a half dozen around here, and all
seemed to have a problem with leaf spot that, despite the interesting
coloration, left them less attractive by summer's end than the native
varieties.

Our most interesting redbud is a 'Traveller', a weeping Texas redbud
we picked up at Madrone Nursery in San Marcos. It's a mound of
writhing branches 3' tall and 8' across! My niece trained her's to
cascade down a rock wall.
Old 27-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Texensis

wrote:

| On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:12:09 GMT, animaux

| wrote:
|
| One neighbor called the police on
| me because he said I was growing pot. Asshole.
|
| Two years ago (in San Antonio), a former neighbor called in to
| complain about our "trashy" front yard. The city official who came
out
| complimented me on our xeriscape and said he wished other people
would
| do what we were doing.
|
| David
|
| Yeah. The same a-hole told another neighbor (who we are great
friends with) that our
| garden is a mess. He said that's why there are rats.
snip

We had the health department called once on us for our compost pile
and "weeds." .The person who arrived just laughed and said that
whatever the neighbors' rat problem was, it certainly was not our
yard. These are the kinds of neighbors who run an irrigation system
all night long every night throughout the summer and who love that old
weed and feed for their ugly nothing-but-lawn yard. We have some lawn,
also, but there are never any weeds in it, because a couple of years
of hand-picking takes care of it pretty much forever.

Old 28-03-2003, 04:08 PM
animaux

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:02:40 GMT, "Texensis"
wrote:

We had the health department called once on us for our compost pile
and "weeds." .The person who arrived just laughed and said that
whatever the neighbors' rat problem was, it certainly was not our
yard. These are the kinds of neighbors who run an irrigation system
all night long every night throughout the summer and who love that old
weed and feed for their ugly nothing-but-lawn yard. We have some lawn,
also, but there are never any weeds in it, because a couple of years
of hand-picking takes care of it pretty much forever.

Totally! Another neighbor asked me what to do about their weeds and I told them
not to mow short and to fertilize in April, not now. What does the jerk do?
Scalps the lawn and throws down weed and feed, now. I suspect that huge dead
spot in his lawn will be there forever. How unfortunate.

Me, I removed about 200 square feet of sod yesterday by hand. My aching hands
and back are...sore. I plan to plant a whole big bunch of Guara lindheimerii.
They reseed readily and from 3 plants last year I now have about three dozen
brewing in the greenhouse. I also removed the turf from the street strip and
planted bluebonnets and G..lindheimerii 'Sisikyou Pink.' If the neighbors don't
like it, fine. Hummingbirds, and butterflies love it. I am in service to
nature, not to some whim of a jerk with thousands of feet of turf.
Old 30-03-2003, 10:56 AM
animaux

wrote:

One neighbor called the police on
me because he said I was growing pot. Asshole.

Two years ago (in San Antonio), a former neighbor called in to
complain about our "trashy" front yard. The city official who came out
complimented me on our xeriscape and said he wished other people would
do what we were doing.

David

Yeah. The same a-hole told another neighbor (who we are great friends with) that our
garden is a mess. He said that's why there are rats. After I stopped laughing so
hard I gagged, I realized I was dealing with a die hard bubba who shoots and eats
doves. He also has a wild boar head and two deer heads in his living room on the
wall. Eeeeeyunkity yuk.

Our backyard is World Wildlife Federation, Backyard Wildlife Certified. If it's good
enough for that, it's certainly good enough for a bubba.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Dora Smith

From what she is saying, if you aren't a connoiser of redbud trees, just get
a texas variety. Trees actually look nicer with ordinary green leaves.
They seem to do well enough around here - there's enough of them, even out
along the highway!

"animaux" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:35:29 GMT, (Terry Horton)

wrote:

If you do please report back. It's of course an eastern redbud (not
var. texensis), so make sure to it gets plenty of water and lots of
afternoon shade. I've seen maybe a half dozen around here, and all
seemed to have a problem with leaf spot that, despite the interesting
coloration, left them less attractive by summer's end than the native
varieties.

Our most interesting redbud is a 'Traveller', a weeping Texas redbud
we picked up at Madrone Nursery in San Marcos. It's a mound of
writhing branches 3' tall and 8' across! My niece trained her's to
cascade down a rock wall.

Redbuds are more suitable as understory trees, especially if they are

eastern
redbuds. At least that's what I find. The development where we live put

redbuds out
in the sidewalk strip and every summer there is no water and they get that

awful leaf
spot. I feed and water the ones directly in back of our house, but they

still get
it. Probably not var.texensis, either.

The 'Traveler' sounds wonderful. I'll have to look into that one.

Victoria