Old 24-01-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Moving - how do I take a rose with me?

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
news
Good suggestions Gail, just like they suggest it in the books.

I have split roots balls of old worlds, as well as rogosa, but I'm
not sure if doing that will increase or decrease the likelihood of a
positive outcome. I usually decide base on the presents or absent
of a "tap root". I know, they say roses don't have true tap roots,
but you know what I mean. If the root formation is based on a
single, large root with feeders branching from it, I wouldn't split
it. It, on the other hand, it is more ball-like, with clear
runners, I might cut of a chunk and pot it. It shouldn't effect the
main plant and it might offer a chance at a second plant.

I know what you mean by a tap root, but
couldn't think how to describe it to the OP!
I once helped a friend prune an old old
rose and it spread by runners. That's about
the only kind I'd be willing to split. I think
that fits your description of a ball-like root
structure with runners.

Other than that, I guess you might consider a root stimulating
product when you plant it. When I buy roses in a bag, I have better
luck getting then to make it through its first Michigan winter if I
use some.

I usually recommend seaweed, if the OP can
find it. It's a natural root stimulator. But
any root stimulator used according to label
would probably help. When I plant or
transplant roses, I also add some triple
superphosphate in the planting hole. Bone
meal would also work, I believe. But no
other fertilizer until the rose is growing again.

Best regards, and think spring.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, zone 5

We're getting lots of rain which our roses
love. Not too much cold, so recently
transplanted roses should do ok.

Gail F.
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA