Old 24-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Warwick

Default Garden shed cover up!

In article ,
says...
Drakanthus wrote:
Could the NG give me some advice on growing something to grow
up/over a newly erected garden shed.
I propose to plant some kind of climber on it's east facing side.
I had thought of Russian Vine but is it as invasive as I'm led to
believe? Maybe a vigorous ivy?
Your help would be most appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Alec Powell

Clematis is a good option. Lots of varieties to choose. Some are
evergreen if you want to hide the shed all year round.

Russian vine can grow very big very quickly - up to 6 inches PER
DAY in Summer and soon get out of control.

Personally I'm not keen on Ivy - it is a bit boring and not as
quick to grow as Clematis.

Clematis - yes. It can be controlled !!!

Wilts on accasion unless you consult with a good plantsman to get a
variety less prone to wilt etc, but saying that they are such lovely
plants.

Honeysuckle? Like a lot of clematis, loses leaves in winter.

There are evergreen ones available apparently, although you may lose
some of the heady scent.

Russian Vine - rampant. 'Could end up engulfing the shed.

And next door's shed and the nearest hedges and trees. And then it sets
seed.

Ivy - Its very tight foliage tends to retain dampness and you could
find the shed rotting away under the camouflage.

I'd never thought of that as an issue. You'd get that to a certain
extent with any climber, and also an evergreen honeysuckle.

Can I add in Jasmine to the list, another deciduous plant, but another
scented one with attractive flowers and foliage.

Warwick