Old 25-01-2007, 04:58 PM posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,sci.bio.entomology.misc,rec.gardens,sci.chem
Lar Lar is offline

Default European Wasps?

wrote:
European Wasps?

I am trying to find out if there is any type of insecticide powder /
liquid that can be lightly coated (or thoroughly mixed) on mince meat,
so European Wasps will be willing to eat the meat.....and most
importantly.....take it back to their nests? The trick is not to repel
them from the meat. I know that European Wasps love eating mince meat,
but is there anything even MORE attractive to them? Something that
would send them crazy with hunger.

Probably any of the inorganic dusts that are commonly used in pest
control may work... boric acid, diatamaceous earth, silica gel. The
guess work would be how much (little) would be the amount to mix with
the bait matrix to have any effect without making the bait unattractive
to them.

What would happen if you put some mince meat in a plastic zip-loc bag,
and sprayed copious amounts of fly spray inside, then thoroughly mixed
it in?

Any advice at all?

Would think the chemicals in the aerosol would make the bait
unattractive to them.

Early Spring the wasps will be feeding on strictly sweet liquids, yellow
jacket traps baited with juice concentrates (I always have had good luck
with apple concentrate for yellow jackets) probably will attract them.
Later in the year, when they are hunting insects you may switch the bait
to tuna fish, or whatever you feel they will feed on.

Lar