Old 25-01-2007, 07:28 AM posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,sci.bio.entomology.misc,rec.gardens,sci.chem

Default European Wasps?

European Wasps?

Please do not ask me to:
- Contact my local Council
- Contact a European Wasp Hotline
- Build a European Wasp Trap

I want to be clear on these matters.

I am trying to find out if there is any type of insecticide powder /
liquid that can be lightly coated (or thoroughly mixed) on mince meat,
so European Wasps will be willing to eat the meat.....and most
importantly.....take it back to their nests? The trick is not to repel
them from the meat. I know that European Wasps love eating mince meat,
but is there anything even MORE attractive to them? Something that
would send them crazy with hunger.

- Mince meat + sugar?
- Mince meat + jam?
- Mince meat + honey?
- Tinned pet food?
- A specific type of tinned pet food that is most attractive?
- Tinned pet food with any of the above mixtures?

What would happen if you put some mince meat in a plastic zip-loc bag,
and sprayed copious amounts of fly spray inside, then thoroughly mixed
it in?

Any advice at all?

Regards

Shazlikd

Old 25-01-2007, 09:01 AM posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,sci.bio.entomology.misc,rec.gardens,sci.chem

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/re..._wasp_trap.asp
http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Depa...wjacket50.html

rob

Old 25-01-2007, 04:58 PM posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,sci.bio.entomology.misc,rec.gardens,sci.chem
Lar Lar is offline

wrote:
European Wasps?

I am trying to find out if there is any type of insecticide powder /
liquid that can be lightly coated (or thoroughly mixed) on mince meat,
so European Wasps will be willing to eat the meat.....and most
importantly.....take it back to their nests? The trick is not to repel
them from the meat. I know that European Wasps love eating mince meat,
but is there anything even MORE attractive to them? Something that
would send them crazy with hunger.

Probably any of the inorganic dusts that are commonly used in pest
control may work... boric acid, diatamaceous earth, silica gel. The
guess work would be how much (little) would be the amount to mix with
the bait matrix to have any effect without making the bait unattractive
to them.

What would happen if you put some mince meat in a plastic zip-loc bag,
and sprayed copious amounts of fly spray inside, then thoroughly mixed
it in?

Any advice at all?

Would think the chemicals in the aerosol would make the bait
unattractive to them.

Early Spring the wasps will be feeding on strictly sweet liquids, yellow
jacket traps baited with juice concentrates (I always have had good luck
with apple concentrate for yellow jackets) probably will attract them.
Later in the year, when they are hunting insects you may switch the bait
to tuna fish, or whatever you feel they will feed on.

Lar
Old 25-01-2007, 11:52 PM posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,sci.bio.entomology.misc,rec.gardens,sci.chem

Lar schrieb:
wrote:
European Wasps?

I am trying to find out if there is any type of insecticide powder /
liquid that can be lightly coated (or thoroughly mixed) on mince meat,
so European Wasps will be willing to eat the meat.....and most
importantly.....take it back to their nests? The trick is not to repel
them from the meat. I know that European Wasps love eating mince meat,
but is there anything even MORE attractive to them? Something that
would send them crazy with hunger.

Probably any of the inorganic dusts that are commonly used in pest
control may work... boric acid, diatamaceous earth, silica gel. The
guess work would be how much (little) would be the amount to mix with
the bait matrix to have any effect without making the bait unattractive
to them.

Boric acid OK, but DE or silica gel? These work from outside interfering
with the cuticle wax layer (some claim they'd block spiracles, but
that's guesswork and not yet proven). I do not know any mention that
they'd have any potential as stomach poisons.

What would happen if you put some mince meat in a plastic zip-loc bag,
and sprayed copious amounts of fly spray inside, then thoroughly mixed
it in?

Any advice at all?

Would think the chemicals in the aerosol would make the bait
unattractive to them.

Early Spring the wasps will be feeding on strictly sweet liquids, yellow
jacket traps baited with juice concentrates (I always have had good luck
with apple concentrate for yellow jackets) probably will attract them.
Later in the year, when they are hunting insects you may switch the bait
to tuna fish, or whatever you feel they will feed on.

A mixture of vinegar (a lot) and strawberry jam (some) once attracted
some 600 wasps per day (for almost three weeks) into a funnel trap I had
put up on my balcony ... a drop or two of detergent helped them drown.

OK, that's not the bait idea you're pursuing - but that, after all, may
not exactly be what you want anyway: Where's the benefit to bait
countless wasps without knowing where their nest(s) are?
You might be killing off dozens of nests all over the place without
seeing one wasp less where they disturb you. OTOH, when you can access
the nest you can save yourself the baiting troubles and go about the job
the easy way.

There's only one purpose baits could serve when dealing with wasps, and
that's attracting them away from areas (like placing a "ring" of baits
around a food premises in order to have wasps visit your traps rather
than the inside).

Cheers, Uli

--
Antworten bitte an: pcoATgmxDOTnet oder in der NG
reply to pcoATgmxDOTnet or to the ng, please

Old 04-02-2007, 01:04 PM posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,sci.bio.entomology.misc,rec.gardens,sci.chem

Here in the Meds we take a Cola bottle, cut of the upper half and press that
upside down in the lower half. The bottle is partly filled with some beer
mixed with fruit juice and hung by a piece of wire. The wasps go in, cannot
find the the exit hole and drown. It takes some time for the first wasps to
come in, but then an avalanche effect starts because the smell of decaying
insects attracts them. Some farmers have their own secret recipe, like white
wine with lavender or chicken soup, but I think it works with any liquid
when it's hot and the wasps are thirsty.

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
writes:
What would happen if you put some mince meat in a plastic zip-loc bag,
and sprayed copious amounts of fly spray inside, then thoroughly mixed
it in?

Another source of insecticides for your experimentation would be those
in the gardening section of stores. A bit of malathion (sp?) can be added
to homemade fruit fly lures to kill the flies, so I'd guess it would do
the same for wasps.

Old 15-02-2007, 03:27 AM posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,sci.bio.entomology.misc,rec.gardens,sci.chem

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 00:52:17 +0100, Uli Lachmuth
etched in cyberspace:

Lar schrieb:
wrote:
European Wasps?

[...]

Borax would do - its easy to get, quantities of about 1 to 2% are used
in ant rid. Ants and bees are descended from wasps so the same kind
of chemical will kill them. Tartar emetic is used too, but is harder
to get - try a homiopathic chemist. Lead acetate may do the job too,
but could leave toxic remainders in the environment.
I would not expect that silica gel would be harmful to eat.

X X
X X