Old 25-01-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default wildflowers

La Puce writes

On 24 Jan, 17:12, K wrote:
That is the logic I do not follow. If the plant from different habitat
that you are considering planting will support only a small number of UK
generalist species, which already have abundant food supply in your
garden, in what way does planting it help make your garden more prolific
in insects and birds?

I'm so surprised you don't understand me. Hence me giving an example of
the lonely lawn and the rose bush ''garden'. This will never provide
enough habitats and will never attract enough insects. Don't you agree?
Therefore the more we plant the better. And in my other choice of
plants, vervain being European to a certain degree ...!

You haven't actually answered my question. You made a general statement
to the effect that planting more species, irrespective of their origin,
would increase the insect diversity, and when I asked you to explain the
logic, you retract to a single example of vervain (officinale?
bonariensis?)
--
Kay