Old 26-01-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Moving - how do I take a rose with me?

"huskies4all" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thank you all for the great information! I will follow your
instructions when I move, and hopefully the plant will live. It is
quite dormant right now, with not much hint of any sort of life (If
didn't know better, it'd look dead to me) so hopefully that will
increase it's chances. Should be fun trying to get it out of the
ground. Not only is it hard and frozen, the rose has absolutely
terrifying deadly daggers instead of thorns. It's also about 10
feet
tall at the moment, so there will be some sort of cutting back just
make it manageable.

I don't envy you that task. I think I could manage
the bush (with heavy pruning beforehand); I'm not
sure about the frozen ground part.

We recently moved a 10' or so shrub but our
ground wasn't frozen. I pruned the heck out of
it, keeping several canes about 3' tall. A week
later I'm seeing some leaf buds coming out. Yah!!
One of the advantages of living in Zone 8.
Naturally I'm trying my darnest to move to
Zone 5 or 6.

Let us know how it goes.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8