Old 28-01-2007, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim W Tim W is offline

Default Fire ash in compost worry

Normally I empty the ash from the log burner into the compost. I hear it is
good for the veg patch. Normally it is just wood ash but sometimes some
paper and card goes in the burner, sometimes shiny & printed stuff,
sometimes a bit of tanalised timber and sometimes some old wood with old
paint on it.

I don't know anything about the chemistry of these things but I did wonder
if I might be adding concentrated toxins to my veg patch.

Tim w